The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2017 Nissan Sentra Turbo and on idle RPMs it goes up and down a tiny bit like literally 50-100 rpms is that normal? It doesn’t do it all the time either sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t. Also when I open and close the windows engine goes down to about 500 rpms then back up? I took it to dealership and they told me that was normal. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Totally normal. At an idle the alternator is running a fairly low duty cycle to keep everything charged and running. When you apply a large load such as a window motor, the alternator typically has to suddenly increase its load to maintain voltage. This sudden increase in load will cause the engine RPMS to slightly drop until the ECU has time to adjust the throttle and fuel to raise the idle back up. Totally normal. Most modern cars operate like this, Nissan/Renault does a REALLY bad job at mitigating this effect. The Jukes do the same thing. The New Altima's do it. The GTR does it too if the car has only been idling for a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts