The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.... I have 2018 SR with the standard radio. Can this unit be upgraded to OEM navi unit? I’m looking at after market but would love to keep the OEM look and features.

Thanks

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,423 Posts
Yes, but it's not trivial or cheap or quick. The rear harness is different...so you have a connector problem, and you'll be missing the GPS antenna as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... so I’m assuming it’s best to go with after market then. Any recommendations? I upgraded the radio in my 2015 a few years back but the gloss finish didn’t match and it was a bit of nuisance... at least for me.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,423 Posts
I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with the hacking the rear wiring harness. If you go aftermarket, there's probably some aftermarket adapters from Crutchfield etc that will get you bare wires from the factory harness (to splice to the aftermarket bare wires). If you get a used NAV unit and can get the harness bits chopped from behind, you can do exactly the same thing as you would have done with the aftermarket...only difference being you'd need to make sure you have all the OEM bits...like the GPS antenna...and the steering controls are sometimes different for the NAV functions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I won't bother with the OEM nav radio, just get an aftermarket radio with Apply CarPlay or Android Auto and use Google Maps. Google Maps will always be more accurate & up-to-date than the OEM unit.

Checkout Crutchfield for harness, dash kit, adapters, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts