The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm installing a hitch on my Altima in the next couple of days(when it arrives). Primarily going to use it for bike racks, cargo attachments and things of that nature, however, I was wondering if I could tow a small trailer for hauling off brush and tree limbs. Owners manual says do not tow a trailer, but I wasn't sure if anyone here has a set up already and what their experiences were. I can't see the trailer being anymore than 500lbs and the load of brush on it being anymore than 200-300lbs and FL is very flat luckily! Lol. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,730 Posts
I think the biggest issue is the CVT...it's already pretty challenged just out of the box. That said, and ignoring braking stability and tongue weight issues, as long as your trailer doesn't exceed the weight of 3 passengers, plus some baggage, say 750lbs total...in addition to your own <250lb weight...it shouldn't make a difference. If you do have CVT issues in the future, don't admit anything other than a bike rack :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the biggest issue is the CVT...it's already pretty challenged just out of the box. That said, and ignoring braking stability and tongue weight issues, as long as your trailer doesn't exceed the weight of 3 passengers, plus some baggage, say 750lbs total...in addition to your own <250lb weight...it shouldn't make a difference. If you do have CVT issues in the future, don't admit anything other than a bike rack :)
Wow, so these transmissions do go wrong pretty often then huh? I have noticed my Versa Note clunking around quite a bit already..that being said our Altima so far is great. Maybe I'll look into a less invasive option then rather than getting set up with a hitch. Don't want to give them a reason to blame me for an inferior product haha

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
CVT goes wrong more than often, if it is that trans then likely the thing that will retire the car to the scrapyard. Nissan has a woeful record on them regardless of the type but some are better than others.

·
Registered
2019 Altima SL ....... 2017 Titan SV
3 Posts
I think you'd be OK installing the hitch for a bike rack; but I definitely would not tow. (My '19 Altima manual also says "do not tow.") Since presumably you would not have an electrical receiver installed for trailer brake lights / turn signals, that seems evidence enough that you're not towing. I had a hitch receiver on my previous sedan ('13 Fusion) that I used for a bike rack - much better than folding down the car's rear seat, removing the front wheel of the bike, etc. For towing, I am fortunate that my other Nissan is a towing monster :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you'd be OK installing the hitch for a bike rack; but I definitely would not tow. (My '19 Altima manual also says "do not tow.") Since presumably you would not have an electrical receiver installed for trailer brake lights / turn signals, that seems evidence enough that you're not towing. I had a hitch receiver on my previous sedan ('13 Fusion) that I used for a bike rack - much better than folding down the car's rear seat, removing the front wheel of the bike, etc. For towing, I am fortunate that my other Nissan is a towing monster :cool:
Thanks for the info! Thinking we might end up trading the Versa we have for a new Wrangler, so I'll use that for towing my boat and whatever else may come up. Nice driveway! Those Titans are beasts!! As for the bike situation, I went with Alevante Suction Cup bike rack. Excellent reviews, and tons of videos...so we'll see what that's like when it gets here and I'll post pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts