The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Altima S 2.5L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys, I have been looking around for weeks after buying my new altima and cant find an answer. I need the thread size of the tow hook for the ‘18 altima. I want a license plate on the front but dont want to drill holes! Advice on how to find out or an answer would be much appreciated. Ive searched eBay, carID, amazon, and nissan’s own website. No answers there. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Stop by a hardware store like Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You will need to find a metric bolt to fit those threads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but how would i find out which one fits? Buy all of them and try? Wouldn’t I end up damaging my car in the process...?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You're going to damage that car anyway to mount the license plate the correct way.

As well, the 'tow' hook was never meant to tow, that hook was meant to restrain the car on a carrier, two wildly different things. Towing using it can seriously damage the car by itself, the hook location is often not a real strong position to tow a car with. It will work while car is in a locked position on a carrier but not stand up to impact jerking that towing can produce.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're going to damage that car anyway to mount the license plate the correct way.

As well, the 'tow' hook was never meant to tow, that hook was meant to restrain the car on a carrier, two wildly different things. Towing using it can seriously damage the car by itself, the hook location is often not a real strong position to tow a car with. It will work while car is in a locked position on a carrier but not stand up to impact jerking that towing can produce.
well yeah I know that, thats why I’m only putting a license plate on with that hole. And if i knew the darn size of the bolt i wouldnt have to damage it at all

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
well yeah I know that, thats why I’m only putting a license plate on with that hole. And if i knew the darn size of the bolt i wouldnt have to damage it at all
Take off the little cover and look at the threaded area where the bolt would go. At a hardware store, find some bolts that look like that size. Buy an assortment of sizes that you think might fit. The ones that don't fit...return for a refund.

OR...stop by your local Nissan dealer's parts department and order a as you call it "tow hook". That way you can match it up with the bolts at a hardware store.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
OP base logic is flawed there. You ALWAYS mount license plates with at least TWO points well separated, using only one allows the wind to work that one attachment point and it WILL given the square inch area of a plate. Bolt then likely breaks plastic plate holder or comes loose, plate lost.

Not being able to deduce a bolt size? A skill gained at like 12 years of age...........self-limitation looms large here, and not working in the real world. Good luck with that one bolt ithing..............a whacky idea.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,892 Posts

·
6,892 Posts
@d0ugmac1 ....this looks like it does not come with a mounting bolt, so @bubmet will still be stymied.
Hey Throck! I believe it actually does come with a Nissan specific thread. Of course, caveat emptor applies...I'm just the search junkie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Throck! I believe it actually does come with a Nissan specific thread. Of course, caveat emptor applies...I'm just the search junkie.

View attachment 100985
Thank you so much for finding this- but unfortunately after checking this out amazon indicates this will not fit my altima :( may just be an error on their end with lack of putting on the listing an exhaustive list of cars that would work- i will check this out after payday though just in case.

·
6,892 Posts
I would bet dollars to donuts it fits. No way Nissan uses different threads for transporting specific car models.

The vendor just never imagined anyone with a sub-200HP car needing a solution like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts