The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we've owned a 2018 Nissan Sentra SV for a few months. 46,000 miles. Drives great, fairly quiet and smooth for a small car. BUT at idle/slow speeds it has started making what I can only describe as a rattling/vibrating/creaking sound. When tapping the accelerator or when driving, the noise goes away. It's only when the car is in drive, idling/going under 5 mph, or when braking to nearly stopping, or when at a complete stop with your foot on the brake. CVT noise? or....?

I tried to record it as best as I could - it is much louder than the phone picks up in this video:

Sentra noise

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just seeing this!
This noise is not normal! I doubt it is coming from transmission.

When a noise goes away at higher RPM, it usually is the engine.

Have you had the car scanned?
Do you have any fault codes? All recalls done?

I’m guessing it’s either a pulley that’s loose, or your timing area.

I’d take a look at all the pulleys, and the drive belt trying to find any gap, loose pulley. Inspect belt, and if all checked out okay, get a stethoscope, try to locate the source of the noise.

In either case, take your car to a shop immediately. If this is your timing, you don’t want to risk it.

Also I saw this in another owner who suggested to use an app on your phone (any decibel level meter app) and try to triangulate the noise and find the approximate location of the noise. Not sure if that’s even practical. But you can rule out transmission if the noise is not coming from your transmission compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just seeing this!
This noise is not normal! I doubt it is coming from transmission.

When a noise goes away at higher RPM, it usually is the engine.

Have you had the car scanned?
Do you have any fault codes? All recalls done?

I’m guessing it’s either a pulley that’s loose, or your timing area.

I’d take a look at all the pulleys, and the drive belt trying to find any gap, loose pulley. Inspect belt, and if all checked out okay, get a stethoscope, try to locate the source of the noise.

In either case, take your car to a shop immediately. If this is your timing, you don’t want to risk it.

Also I saw this in another owner who suggested to use an app on your phone (any decibel level meter app) and try to triangulate the noise and find the approximate location of the noise. Not sure if that’s even practical. But you can rule out transmission if the noise is not coming from your transmission compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THANK YOU! Sorry for the delayed response - was out of town. I youtubed timing chain noise to listen and it sounds almost identical. So yeah... I'm thinking that is it. No, it hasn't been scanned for codes or anything yet. We haven't had it very long and it hasn't been driven much at all. (We bought it for a teen who only has a permit so she's not a daily driver yet.) The next trip with it out of the driveway will be to the shop! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts