The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those curious about it, I took my Altima to the Dyno. And surprise, surprise... 244hp at the wheels “and forgot to turn on the sport mode”. So give or take... it has 250-255 with sport mode on. Great starting point for when mods become available. Enjoy fellas!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
How would "sport mode" give you almost 10 more HP? What does sport mode do to modify the engine power curve?

I can't find anything in the Owners Manual that says the Altima has up to 10 extra HP in sport mode. Page 5-24 in the Starting and Driving section of the 2019 Nissan Altima Owners Manual says "Use the drive sport mode when you need improved engine braking".

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a give or take. Sport mode is a different mapping in the ECU to perform better vs no sport mode made for gas economy. You would never find information like that in a manual, other than Where to locate the sport mode button.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
It’s a give or take. Sport mode is a different mapping in the ECU to perform better vs no sport mode made for gas economy. You would never find information like that in a manual, other than Where to locate the sport mode button.
And you know this how? I know that Sport mode holds the 'gears' longer which keeps the RPM's higher, please post a link where you found out about the "ECU to perform better" in sport mode.

I would like to increase my knowledge.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sport mode won't change HP at all.
With proper air intake, downpipe, better intercooler and proper tune you should be near 330HP if that base run is accurate.
But even with stock numbers I would be afraid of flooring it too often, the transmission is the weak link and also it is a 2.0L. You sacrifice lifespan in order to put more power on those wheels; If you get a bumper to bumper warranty then it's a different story

Reactions: Throckmorton

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spend your own money on a Dyno in sport mode, and you then tell me if there was a difference or not. Do your own research. And the base run is acurrate. Now is is turning into a stupid discussion. All I wanted to show is the hp at the wheels is very near to what Nissan said hp is.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For me it was a total surprise to see that number, because Nissan says it has 236HP but they always declare the power at the crank, never at the wheels.
That is the same power that a Maxima 3.5 V6 makes, but on a lighter 2.0L 4cyl

Reactions: Cheneris37

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you read well what Nissan says, it states at 93 octanes gives you 248hp and the car can run with 87 octanes but at 236hp. And that’s my run in the Dyno... therefore, at 93 octanes has an output of 244 at the wheels as you can see in the graphic.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Sport mode may simply run the compression up a bit more, the extra power could be from that and extra compression WOULD increase engine braking. Same thing when the knock sensor can tell the difference in fuel quality, ECM raises the compression and timing too based on knock going away.

'You sacrifice lifespan in order to put more power on those wheels;'

My belief as well and much moreso with that particular engine, it is made to wear out much faster by design. I'm curious how many of them will make it to over 200K miles. I bet not many.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those curious about it, I took my Altima to the Dyno. And surprise, surprise... 244hp at the wheels “and forgot to turn on the sport mode”. So give or take... it has 250-255 with sport mode on. Great starting point for when mods become available. Enjoy fellas!
New to forum... getting a 2020 VC-T Altima... noticed the date on the HP Graph.. it says 2002.. that's an error? Good to know you can get that much power. Using Premium I take it? Also LOVE the wrap.. might have to invest in that. Thank you for the info

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for air intake , downpipe, exhaust. Nothing yet for Altima vc turbo ????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts