The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Altima SR 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to try and keep this short... About 7 months ago, my wife got a promotion at work, taking her daily commute from 20 minutes to an hour plus. One way. So we decided it was time to buy a more reliable car for all that driving. So, we went out and bought a 2019 Nissan Altima SR 2.5 with 36K on the odometer. And everything has been great. Until now. 25K miles later. I've been changing the oil religiously, every time right at 5K miles. Except, time before last, we had some stuff going on and I had to let it ride for an extra thousand miles or so. And that's when it started ticking. I changed the oil, and the ticking got a little quieter, but it was still there. Now it's back as loud as before. I let my buddy talk me into putting some heavier oil in it, so last night I drained the 0W and put in 5W, but it didn't change anything. I'd almost say it made it worse. He swears up and down its just the valves and they need adjusting, but I'm scared to death its the timing chain. Especially after doing some research. I have an appointment at a Nissan dealership Monday, but I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for anything they do. So I was hoping you guys would take a listen and tell me what you think. I know a little bit about cars, but I'm far from a mechanic. And I don't want to pull into a dealership clueless. Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm linking the video from YouTube because the forum said the file was too large to upload it directly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah that does sound like a timing chain but really hard to tell for sure. That really sucks. So if my math is correct then you are past the 60000 mile power train warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's right at, but not quite. Right now, it's at 59600. By the time I can get to the dealership, it'll have around 59700. That's awfully close to 60, but I guess they'd have to honor it? What if I bought the car used from Drivetime? Would Nissan still honor their powertrain warranty? I don't know too much about all this, this is our first time financing a new car. We've always paid cash before. I know it's got a warranty from Drivetime through SilverRock, but apparently they're notorious for denying claims. And they're going to want oil change receipts, and I've done the past 4 oil changes myself. So they'll deny the claim just on that alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I looked it up last night. But it definitely helps to actually see it in official writing. So if it is the timing chain, it's still covered. I'm thinking it's the tensioner. And after doing some math, I'm going to be pulling up to the dealership tomorrow with right at 59850. That's crazy. You don't think they could try to blame it on the K&N intake, do you? I know by law they'd have to prove it was what caused the problem for it to void the warranty, but with cutting it this close, I'd rather not have anything delay the process. I still have the OEM intake. I could put it back on tonight. But I'd rather not cause the car won't be back until dark.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nissan COULD request oil change receipts too. I think some dealers are worse about that than others. Most of the time if you do the work yourself I think they'll accept a receipt showing where you bought the oil/filter. You don't want to let them know that you went beyond the recommended oil change interval or they'll almost surely deny the claim. Personally I doubt the extended oil change interval had any effect on the problem but, if they know about it they'll claim it did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked the owner's manual and it actually recommends changing the oil every 10K miles, so technically I didn't go over. Cause I've been changing it at every 5K miles. So I should be good on that. And I'm pretty sure I still have the receipts from Advanced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Nissan just called... They're claiming they don't hear anything. They CLAIM nothing is wrong it. Knowing good and well as soon as I pull it off the lot I'm going to be out of the 60K powertrain warranty. They told me that I'm welcome to come back up there and point it out to them, cause they're just not hearing it. I don't know how. It sounds like it's running bone dry on oil. But it's not. I'm not crazy. A car this new shouldn't sound tick like that.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Sell or trade that car, you will never be happy with it. It will drive you crazy the longer you keep it, now that you are convinced it is going to blow up because of the noise you hear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm going to try and keep this short... About 7 months ago, my wife got a promotion at work, taking her daily commute from 20 minutes to an hour plus. One way. So we decided it was time to buy a more reliable car for all that driving. So, we went out and bought a 2019 Nissan Altima SR 2.5 with 36K on the odometer. And everything has been great. Until now. 25K miles later. I've been changing the oil religiously, every time right at 5K miles. Except, time before last, we had some stuff going on and I had to let it ride for an extra thousand miles or so. And that's when it started ticking. I changed the oil, and the ticking got a little quieter, but it was still there. Now it's back as loud as before. I let my buddy talk me into putting some heavier oil in it, so last night I drained the 0W and put in 5W, but it didn't change anything. I'd almost say it made it worse. He swears up and down its just the valves and they need adjusting, but I'm scared to death its the timing chain. Especially after doing some research. I have an appointment at a Nissan dealership Monday, but I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for anything they do. So I was hoping you guys would take a listen and tell me what you think. I know a little bit about cars, but I'm far from a mechanic. And I don't want to pull into a dealership clueless. Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm linking the video from YouTube because the forum said the file was too large to upload it directly.

I had recommended to a friend a couple years ago to climb the ladder and start at the top management at the dealership and also call nissan corporate headquarters and wow she got it fixed pretty quick. Not the same issues but follows the same story line. good luck to you and don't remove the car from the dealership until it's fixed free

·
Registered
3 Posts
A ticking noise may be your cam followers that the manual says should not need adjusting until about 90k miles. Mine tick until the engine warms up to normal and stops until the engine is cold again. My very qualified mechanic friend says it sounds like "dry start:" I assume you have the same engine as I do, a 2.5 QR. The valve adjust means replacing worn followers with the proper sized new ones. It's a time consuming, complicated, expensive job. Most advise that I have gotten is that 0W30 oil may stop or reduce the "clatter" or ticking and don't do it until it's absolutely necessary...you won't want to do this job more than once! KGK

·
Registered
8 Posts

Not sure how the dealership can't hear that. The dealership in wichita is about as bright as a burned out light bulb as well. I've had a car that sounded like that. It was a bad alternator bearing. Replaced the alternator and walla. No noise. Best of luck with your dealership. Get the car in and make them fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So Nissan just called... They're claiming they don't hear anything. They CLAIM nothing is wrong it. Knowing good and well as soon as I pull it off the lot I'm going to be out of the 60K powertrain warranty. They told me that I'm welcome to come back up there and point it out to them, cause they're just not hearing it. I don't know how. It sounds like it's running bone dry on oil. But it's not. I'm not crazy. A car this new shouldn't sound tick like that.
As long as you have a documented concern, if it fails AFTER the warranty has expired, you have a leg to stand on. However, my first question for you would be why would you buy a 1-year-old car with that many miles on it? I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm curious to know why you would buy a high mileage car knowing you already have a long commute. I wouldn't buy a Toyota or Honda with that many miles knowing I'm commuting an hour/30-40 miles+ each way because of the already high wear and tear on it. Also, you should be using ONLY 0w-20 fully synthetic oil in the vehicle. I know these engines well having worked for Nissan for a few years. Did you also purchase an extended service plan on it from Drivetime? I know how Drivetime is, and they're vehicles aren't of the highest quality and they all seem to have very high mileage, which leads me they buy them at wholesale auctions from sources that don't want to put the cost into reconditioning them and hoping they last the customer past their initial warranty period. I know someone who works for them and warned me to never purchase there. But that's neither here nor there. In short, yes. You're still covered by Nissan as long as your concern is documented and you take it back as soon as you hear another sound. Also, get a second opinion from another dealer. You may also put in a claim with 1-800-Nissan1 so it's documented with the head office. I had a 2015 Altima bought back as a lemon because I did my due diligence.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Stop worrying and just drive the car. Nothing is wrong with it. You are hearing the noise fron the Direct Injection system. GDI engines have a totally different style of fuel injector and these fuel injectors make an engine ticking noise especially on cold start up. ... GDI enjines have two fuel pumps; low pressure and high pressure. The low pressure pump moves gas from the tank to the high pressure pump, causing the noise you are hearing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Stop worrying and just drive the car. Nothing is wrong with it. You are hearing the noise fron the Direct Injection system. GDI engines have a totally different style of fuel injector and these fuel injectors make an engine ticking noise especially on cold start up. ... GDI enjines have two fuel pumps; low pressure and high pressure. The low pressure pump moves gas from the tank to the high pressure pump, causing the noise you are hearing.

I didn't consider the fact they moved to GDI motors for the 6th generation... That's what the noise he's hearing could be more than likely...

·
Registered
43 Posts
One more reason to not do extended drain intervals on a new car. 10k on direct injection is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2021 sounds just like that. I’m not trying to be a downer to your intake setup but I’d stay with stock. It’s not like an intake is gonna turn a 2.5 into a 370z. To many horror stories of the air filters dusting engines. Don’t be offended as I’m just trying to offer advice for longevity. If I was to shop for a car and found an oiled air filter on it I’d walk away and I’m sure that Nissan would have issue with it as well. Even if it didn’t cause it they’d more than likely blame any internal issues on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts