The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I bought a 2020 Altima Platnium Front wheel drive in January. After 10k miles, when I turn left under power or am in reverse, there is a rumbling sound from the left front wheel. It sounds like I am driving over rumble strips...that's the best way to describe it. When turning left with no accelerator applied, the sounds is nearly non-exsistant.

I have been to the dealer a couple of times now. They are stumped. The first visit they replaced the drive shaft and CV joints. Second visit I took the service manager for a test ride and he clearly heard the issue. They decided to replace a wheel bearing. I believe they replaced both on the right side, which I understand. The last time I spoke with the dealer, they said they weren't sure what the problem is and they would consult with Nissan.

So, a couple of questions...First, has anyone had a similar issue? Second, how long should I wait before I take it back to the dealer? Third, anyone have any good ideas about what might be happening? I thought it could be the electronic parking break (forward and reverse) but that is only tied to the rear tires. I, like the dealer, am at a loss.

TYIA!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Serdmann, as much as they don't want to admit it, I am placing money that there is an issue with your transfer case/transmission (I am not a betting man normally). What you are describing I have heard from other makes being a gear issue. In the cases that I am mainly thinking of, it was because of a bearing that was overloaded when assembled at the factory and this caused the bearing to fail pre-maturely due to seeing too much stress. In your case, when you turn left, this causes the left tire to assume more load from the engine, leading to the noise that you are hearing.

As for what to do, I would be making sure that you are keeping on the front of the dealership's mind. Make sure that the problem is noted in your service records. You can even try writing a letter to the dealership (send it "signature required on receipt") to simply ask the question "where do we stand with this issue". You are not forcing their hand, but you are also making it known that you are not going to forget about it. Based on their response (get it in writing), that may warrant a second letter to Nissan proper (again sent with signature required on receipt). This tends to get attention (good and bad). But, it shows that you are trying to get your car fixed and will not be letting it go. I know Nissan doesn't want to replace a transmission/transfer case, but it may be the answer. The final straw that you have to be willing to talk to them about is if they can't fix the car, then it is a lemon and that you are willing to do a 1 for 1 swap for a new car (since you only have 6 months on this car) and see what gets said at that point. I know they are going to kick and scream, but you can politely tell them that they are going to fix the car, the question is how they are going to do it. They can throw parts at it and hope they guess right or they can just bite the bullet and do the swap. The big thing will be keeping all the documentation so if things start going south, you can show that you made a good faith effort to work with the dealership to resolve the issue and due to circumstances, it couldn't be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello serdmann, I have a 2019 Nissan Altima Platinum and haven't experienced anything like this. Sorry I can't help but I am curious so please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Lenny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts