The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have paint peeling off the side of the hood on my 2020 Altima SR which isn't even a year old yet. It started as a spot about the size of a quarter and has grown to about 6 inches of paint peeling off and growing. The dealer submitted pictures of the original spot to Nissan and sent me to their body shop to get a repair estimate. The body shop recommended a repaint of the hood, but Nissan only approved a touch up. When I took the car back to the dealer the peeling had grown far beyond a touch up. More pictures were taken and sent to Nissan Warranty. It's been almost 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything about a resolution. I also had an issue with a squeaky drivers seat on the first visit to the dealer. They ordered the parts and replaced the seat frame as soon as it arrived. I'm not sure why the paint is not being taken care of quickly. I'm wondering if more people are having this problem with the current Altima.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
And I thought mine was bad losing paint after 3 years.

Nissan clearly has a paint issue on some colors at least, my Fords still have rock solid paint at well over 159K miles and 20 years. It scratches of course but it doesn't simply turn into dust when you rub it with a finger. Part of it is Nissan does not paint any area not facing directly out like jambs and such nearly with as thick a coat of paint as the outside gets and it is so thin it basically has no strength. The Fords will have full thickness paint even in unexposed areas, Nissan is more concerned with saving paint cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2015 Sentra. I bought it new and the paint started coming off the inside of the fender where the door opens and the fender rails where the bolts are under the hood. The paint in those areas seem to be REALLY thin. The outward facing panels still look good but these areas started peeling after about year 2.

In my case I didn't go through warranty because , well, you don't always know how much effort they'll put into it and prep is everything in paintwork.

In my case I was lucky my car was black. Got a professional single stage spray bomb made up at an autobody shop and put it on myself. Black is a nice color to touch up. Always a perfect match.

If it was on the outward facing part of the panel or my car was any other color than black I would have went the warranty route. Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts