The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 235/50-17 tires on standard the standard 17x7 inch rims. Wonder if any of the experts would help me with what the correct pressure should be for these. I am currently running the 33/30 lbs recommended for the OE Bridgestone Turanzas 215/55-17s, but have found that steering effort is up relative to the turanzas. The ride is comfortable in fact, more comfortable at higher speed compared to the turanzas. The reason for this change is that although I have done 36,000 kms ( about 22,000 miles), I live outside of Toronto and the snow traction on the turanzas was just terrible. Rather than invest in a set of 4 dedicated rims and winter tires, I found the pilots to be almost as good in the snow and dry and wet traction is very good.

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
i played around with the pressure

i am at about 35 lbs all the way around. what i looked at was my tread marks on hard dirt to make sure i had a uniform contact patch. i tried lower pressures cause i felt more bouncing at first but now i like the traction afforded by the higher pressure in addition to the slightly higher gas mileage given with more pressure in mine.

i am no expert by any means but I have 19000 miles on my Michelins with no apparent tire wear even on the corners. I rotate my tires every 5000 miles. I drive it like i stole it.

my car is lowered with sportlines and factory shocks, it was aligned following lowering and the new tire mounting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Snolden

Five days after installing the pilots, I have also increased the pressure to 35lbs all round and the handling has improved noticeably. Ride quality has suffered but not as much I expected, most noticeable degradation is at low speeds. Cornering is excellent. I am glad that there is virtually no wear you noticed, means that the 400 treadwear rating is really good. What's your experience in snow if any?

·
older then dirt
195 Posts
warp said:
I have just installed a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 235/50-17 tires on standard the standard 17x7 inch rims. Wonder if any of the experts would help me with what the correct pressure should be for these. I am currently running the 33/30 lbs recommended for the OE Bridgestone Turanzas 215/55-17s, but have found that steering effort is up relative to the turanzas. The ride is comfortable in fact, more comfortable at higher speed compared to the turanzas. The reason for this change is that although I have done 36,000 kms ( about 22,000 miles), I live outside of Toronto and the snow traction on the turanzas was just terrible. Rather than invest in a set of 4 dedicated rims and winter tires, I found the pilots to be almost as good in the snow and dry and wet traction is very good.

hey there,
I thought of getting the same tire combo for mine,
just wondering if there is any rubbing and
would you say the ride is as good or better at city driving??
last thing is how is the dry handling...as good?? or better ??
thanks...Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JBL85:

I am in Canada, so prices will not be comparable, but for what its worth, they were C$1610( about US $1000) installed, including taxes.

lola13:
Since my last post, I have reduced tire pressure to 34lbs all around and the city ride is now comparable to the turanzas. Dry handling is noticeably better and there is no rubbing. At 35lbs, ( I had that pressure for about 3 days) there is absolutely no body lean on corners and no tyre scuffing, but the ride is very hard over the frost and snow heaved roads of Ontario. Its quite amazing, what a 1lb reduction in pressure will do, in terms of the ride/handling tradeoff.

·
Getused2seeinmytaillights
107 Posts
What an excellent post!!!!!!!!! I just installed a set of those tires on a new set of Chrome Altima 17"rs. I was curious if they would rub too. The tire guy said "no" but Ineeded real proof from you all here. Tire Rack had them for around $205.00 for just the tire. I went to my local dealer Discount Tire & they beat there price (at $197.00 each) & had them installed in no time at all. Doing the research on Tire Rack really helped. They ranked this tire at the top of the list in this size. Nobody makes a decent tire in the stock size & this size if the closest to it out there. Can't wait for the nice weather to return so I can put those rims on my car!
Chrome rims + salt covered roads= Why the hell did I put those on??!! Their all pitted now! Too many horror stories from my buddies...so I am holding off for now. Thanks all!!

·
Getused2seeinmytaillights
107 Posts
I'll let you all know what I think of them & if I have any problems with anything when the weather gets better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts