The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i might share this with you guys, i little review of three cars i have been driving for the past three days:

2003 Nissan Altima S
--------------------
Overall impression, interior is very very ugly, but you really get used to it. Interior feels much larger than the maxima and has a more spacious airy feel. I had the 2.5L motor, and let me tell you that motor is great.. However i noticed the fuel economy was not has good as my 2k2 maxima. But the motor had MUCH more pep and torque around town. Handling is simply amazing. Although the car feels larger, it is just as nimble on stock suspension as a honda civic. The altima still exhibits major wheel hop (it was an automatic too)..

I think Nissan really did a good job packaging the car and giving it a very good price. I never thought a 4 banger had so much appeal but i can see why. The main reason again that i did not buy an altima is because the interior really turned me off, and the fit and finish around the dash board and door panels were totally off. But hey people that don't nitpick like i do will definetly enjoy this car. One thing to note, the altima has a really really nice growl to it when drivin hard, almost like it had an intake or somethign.. KUDOS

2003 Honda Accord 4 cyl
-----------------------
Ironically, as a total honda disliker that i am, some how i got this car as a rental. The toronto maxima guys were making fun of me because it was really weird seeing me in a honda. But htis was my opportunity to see what this new 2003 accord was like. First off, the gauges are amazing. I love the brightness and clairty of these gauges. However, before i was driving this car, i used to think the itnerior was really nice compared to our maximas. I was so wrong, I had difficult with the controls, i don't like the positioning of anything, and i find that it was just plain weird.. Something aobut the car really errkked me. Interior room is smaller than the altima. And the exterior styling cues on this 4 door is freakin ugly. The front end looks like a cross of a civic and an s2000, some like it, but i expected more. However the altima's front end isn't as appealing either. i will say the front end of the 2k2/2k3 is far more aggressive and appealing over both these cars. Engine/transmission. Hmmm.. the engine is once again a marvel in honda technology. TOTALLY TORQUELESS. The altima's 4 cyl is by far 300% better,wiht more torque and better pull. The accord is a total JOKE. The tranny likes to hunt becuase of this torqueless wonder. Where i was impressed with the altima, the accord was like driving a civic... I returned it almost within 2 days and got the altima. Buyers of this car must really like honda's name because for the money,m the altima is by far a better value.

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 6speed
----------------------------
Well I got my car the past few days, and boy i missed it alot. Out of the three cars, the maxima feels much more expensive (i know it has a v6 and leather, but aside from that), just by the way all the controls are placed, and the way everything fit together. Althogh the rear end of the 5th gen still doesn't look very good to me, i love the front end especialy with the HID's. Overall, because of the major discounting of maxima's the maxima is still the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. However the same quirks that were existent in my 2k2 are here to stay in 2k3. Flash to pass still blinks the HIDS. Tranny even when new still has a bit of notchy and grinding behaviour like my 6speed in my 2k2. ANd the suspension, well lets not even get into that because it is about 400% worse than the altima or accord. But still, i bought the maxima again, and it still brings a smile to my face.

ED

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
Nice writeup, thx for taking the time to do so. Was your car in the shop?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, thanks for sharing your opinions of these 3 cars. Even though you just had the Accord and Altima for a rental, it's not really fair to be comparing a loaded Maxima SE with the 4cyl Altima and Accord - if you were going to include the Maxima, then test drive a loaded Accord EXV6 and loaded Altima 3.5SE.
Not that it really matters, anyway...
BTW the interior of the Altima is not ugly (unless you are used to the oldschool style interiors). Materials, of course, can be improved upon. I like the Accord's interior also. The exterior is another story..:)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
"BTW the interior of the Altima is not ugly "

Strictly your opinion, as is the reviewer's that it is ugly. I for one agree that it is not very attractive as far as layout goes and it saddens me that Nissan seems to be using the Altima interior as its template for new designs.

Overall I'd agree with the review of the Altima, but I am surprised at a few items:

Fuel economy. Out of curiosity, what did you see in the Altima versus what you get in your Max? How did you measure it? Not with the trip computer I hope...that thing seems to vary tremendously car to car as far as reliable readings go.

Wheel hop. Under what conditions did your wheels hop? Do you mean torque steer instead? Mine hasn't hopped yout and I've got 10,500 miles on my 2.5S atx.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i could only compare the two 4cyl to my new 2003 maxima because that was all i had access to in the past few weeks after writting off my 2002:

pics herre
www.pbase.com/minirx7

i really didn't like the interior (myopinion) on the altima 3.5 SE either, because it had a feeling of material of lower quality (like a chevy)..

But the altima is by far much better in handling than my brand new 2003 and my old 2002 maxima... Its just that for the price, the maxima was much better deal (2003 altimas still had quite the markup few weeks ago). Maxima 2003's were being discounted so cheap that it was no difference in price between altimas and maximas.

But the 2.5L is great!!.. And i based the mileage on the odometer and not the finicky trip computer (like on my maxima)... it was strange, quite possibly because the 2.5L was an auot and my max was a 6speed (my old 2k2)...

ED

·
Go Terps!!
420 Posts
i'm not trying to attack anyone here, but i like the interior, and i was wondering if you guys could give an example of an interior that you like...I'm hearing some things about layout and materials, but this isnt like 35K lux sedan we're talking about here.

·
A+, MCP
1,111 Posts
Materials wise, cheap. Design wise, fair. In compare with 02 Camry, Camry uses much batter materials for the interor than Alti (sorry to say that, but it's true coz my gf's cousins have one) but the design is again, boring. Let's not even get to the handling and power (Alti is way better of course.)
I remember that when I first sit in my Alti, the signal/wiper bar and the steering wheel catched most of my attention. I like the way the bars look now then the traditional sticks. However, the biggest turn off was the stereo's display and the seat's fabric. The display is small and plain. Nothing but the time is on it (without turning on the radio of course.) Also, I wish the display will show the songs' length and stuff. The seats fabric sucks in my opinion (even compared with my old '92 240sx.) Even when it's new in the dealer, it looks dirty and cheap (cheap, well, maybe because I always wanted leather.)
But overall, it's a great car for the bucks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
tdoyle said:
"BTW the interior of the Altima is not ugly "

Strictly your opinion, as is the reviewer's that it is ugly. I for one agree that it is not very attractive as far as layout goes and it saddens me that Nissan seems to be using the Altima interior as its template for new designs.
It's also strictly your opinion that the layout is not attractive.
I also happen to think that the interior DESIGN is great and very modern. Material-wise, it's fine for the 2.5S but not up to par for what you pay to get a loaded 3.5SE...and IMO Camry LE doesn't use any better materials than the Altima from what I've seen. I don't know about the XLE or SE though.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
"It's also strictly your opinion that the layout is not attractive."

Exactly my point. Everyone has an opinion and they're 100% entitled to not only have one but also to voice it...I was replying to the wording of AltimateCarDriver's post that "the interior of the Altima is not ugly". Its a very absolute statement for something as fickle as aesthetics.

"i was wondering if you guys could give an example of an interior that you like"

My firend's 02 SPECV interior is worlds better than the Altima in material quality...its not funny to me that the Sentra is treated to superior materials. Layout? I think the single thing I dislike the most about the Altima is the gauge cluster...don't really care for the 3 pod look, didn't like it in the Lexus GS either.

·
A+, MCP
1,111 Posts
Joewalagas said:
It's also strictly your opinion that the layout is not attractive.
I also happen to think that the interior DESIGN is great and very modern. Material-wise, it's fine for the 2.5S but not up to par for what you pay to get a loaded 3.5SE...and IMO Camry LE doesn't use any better materials than the Altima from what I've seen. I don't know about the XLE or SE though.
Well, the Camry's interor is soft and kind of cushion. Not hard plastics like our Alti. Even my '92 240sx's interor was soft cushion, not hard plastics. Also, the door's assamber (happened to be my back doors) is poorly fit at MiniRX7 mentioned. Those gaps are so obvious. I think they do have to save money from somewhere.

·
A+, MCP
1,111 Posts
Layout? I think the single thing I dislike the most about the Altima is the gauge cluster...don't really care for the 3 pod look, didn't like it in the Lexus GS either. [/B]
Layout? I don't like the hassle-light button. It's too far to reach. You have to bend over to press it.

But let me make myself clear, these are things I think Nissan can improve on, I still love my Altima. :)

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
The new Altima (which I drove recently, a red 3.5SE) is a "good" car. It's fast, it looks okay, and it's better quality than American cars. But it still doesn't come close to an Accord and certainly not a Camry. I'll take a 98 Camry with 90K miles over a new Altima any day. I've been studying cars my entire life and, while the Camry is boring, it is one of the most safe and reliable vehicles on the road.

The Maxima is very attractive and has lots of good features. Design (at least for 2002-2003) has the Accord beat. The new 2004 Maxima is, well, ugly. While the current Maxima looks better, the Accord is still the better car. Take notice: How fast a car is has NOTHING to do with how good of a car it is. If that were the case, I would've kept my $25,000 worth of useless Mustang junk.

It is entertaining to see people debate how good a car is and base it all on speed, though. It doesn't matter I can handle better, stop quicker, am more reliable, the safer choice, or anything else as long as you beat me in a race, right? My Altima is faster from the take-off than a few big Mercedes', does that make it the better car? I don't think so...

·
Registered
175 Posts
EnjyThaRde97.5 said:
... I'll take a 98 Camry with 90K miles over a new Altima any day....
Good for you!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

.. While the current Maxima looks better, the Accord is still the better car. Take notice: How fast a car is has NOTHING to do with how good of a car it is. If that were the case, I would've kept my $25,000 worth of useless Mustang junk.
The Maxima is one of the most reliable cars you can ever get. Yes, the Accord is a good car but I'll take the Maxima over it any day

My uncle has a 2003 Camry LE. I have sat in it several times and the interior quality isn't light years ahead of the Altima as some will have you believe. IMO it's on par - and the design is just "old-school"

·
iLoveUman
1,116 Posts
My uncle has a 2003 Camry LE. I have sat in it several times and the interior quality isn't light years ahead of the Altima as some will have you believe. IMO it's on par
i TOTALLY disagree. My parents drive a 2001, and even today with ~50K miles on the camry it still feels 10X as solid as my 7 month old altima. When I shut the door on the camry it's like a vault (relatively speaking, I'm not talking about MB or BMW here) compared to the altima. Everything is just more "solid." Going over the same rough roads, my altima feels/sounds like it's gonna lose an axle or something, the camry is just rock solid. But then again, the styling and performance of the Nissan is what brought me to the altima.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To clarify..

NISSAN is really starting to cut corners on a lot of cars...

The inifinty G35 doesnt even come with hood struts like the maxima..

The new maxima and 350Z has the worst materials ever chosen for interior purpose.. Look inside and see the door panels, looks like crap..

I believe the 2k2/2k3 maxima was thelast of the too much is better in terms of interior quality..

AN accord is NOT a better car than a maxima... I feel that the accord even the v6 still feels like a less expensive car than the maxima..

THe Atlima V6 5 speed was very appealing for me.. i wanted to get that instead of my 2k3 maxima (after driving my 2k2 maxima and crashing it of course).... But the price difference between the alimta and maxima was like so small that it was effectively the same price..

I like the handling of the altima, the power inthe 4 cyl (v6 is obviously great), but the accord.. Screw it, ALtima Hands down!!

ED

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Rock & Roll Outlaw
649 Posts
Comparison

I own a Altima that well the heat goes away at temperatures below 10 degrees.

Nissan has problems with the heater core being too small and I must say that heat in Chicago is a must.

I enjoy the interior room and the exterior styling.

While Nissan was trying to fix the Altima I rented a 2k2 Maxima SE in Pearl White. The interior is better than the Altima, but the suspension was subpar. A black Maxima with black leather and the titanium package is quite attractive. The dealers all say you can get one of these for less than a comparable Altima because the 2004's are soon to arrive.

The new Accord is quite attractive and if you are used to Nissan's? Will just not feel adequate. Yes it is true that there is no torque and that the guage pod is brighter. It is after all update to a previous Accord that needed to be updated.

The Altima, Maxima, and Accord are very good cars. Money is everything and with Nissan's flagship the Maxima at today's pricing going head to head with the Altima and the Accord the choice is obvious.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
I went last weekend to find a car for My brother in law. One of the cars we looked at was the 03 Max....I had forgotten how little rear hedaroom was in that car. We got into the back seat..and my head was burried in the head liner.....I am only 5 ft 9

1 - 19 of 19 Posts