The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing some OEM fogs for your 2nd gen. and there is little to no info on the subject? Well not anymore.

Complete 2nd Gen. Headlight, OEM Fog, and HID install and how-to.

There are a shit load of threads about fogs, questioning the subject, and a few general questions, but nothing really that has much info, or anything that makes you say, shit I think I'm gonna put some fogs in my 2nd gen today. There are a few people who did it, but nobody really seems to have much info on how to go about it. I've been digging and searching on this topic for a WHILE now, and really didn't find anything that really was useful for my project.

So I decided to take it upon myself.

How I did it:

...I DID NOT do it the "Textbook" way, and stalk/relay it. BUT I did come up with a very good alternative (at least I think so) that I'm sure will help anyone with this install, whether you want to do it the "right way", or my way.

Now I'm sure we have all seen "all 2nd gens are pre-wired for fogs." Bullshit. One of my good friends has a '99 SE that has fogs stock. Popped his hood did my snooping around and found where all of the fog wiring is, where it comes from, and where it leads to.

NOWHERE on my car is pre-wiring for the fogs. Not where his was, not behind the headlight, engine bay, nowhere. I began to think it was me and I even took apart the steering column to see if the wiring was there, and there was nothing. I got a GXE, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

So once I decided The Alt wasn't pre-wired, I came up with my own design.

I got the OEM '98-'99 Foglights from eBay $126 shipped for both of them. It was the cheapest I've ever seen them throughout my 2+ years of searching, ebay, or anywhere.

I also wanted to get some lower temp. HIDs for the headlights, and also have them hi/lo, because the 20000K is only single beam.

The Alt before:

The first kit is a SLC 20000K HID Kit:

This kit is basic, just plug and play.

So I got bi HID (both HI AND LO are HID) 8000K from Hid Kit, Hid Conversion Kit, Lights, Hid Headlights, Light - XenonEyes.com for $200 shipped for the headlights.

This is kit is more involved, it has a relay, ground wires, positive to the battery, and it only uses one car headlight harness.

Relay:

..So what I decided to do, is use the 8000K bi HID's for the headlights, and use the SLC 20000K HID's for the fog lights...

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now first off, the OEM fog is a 898 bulb.

Back of stock fog:

The SLC HID Kit that I have is 9007, the same as the headlight size (which is what I was using for my headlights).

What I had to do is make the OEM fog hole fit my 9007 bulb, AND make a harness for it.

Cutting the hole:

I used a soldering gun to melt away the plastic into a perfect 9007 circle, and I broke off the bulb of a old 9007 bulb and used the base as a test bulb for my hole.

The test 9007 bulb:

The hole:

What I then had to do was create a harness for the fogs. I went to the junkyard and cut off the bulb harnesses off a '98 Alty junker.

Harnesses:

I then created a custom harness for the 9007 fogs.

I used fuse holders:

And used a 30A fuse:

And used it inline with my harness to protect it:

Since these are single beam HIDs, I had to determine the low beam wire which is the outter left edge wire on both of the harnesses, and then I wired a positive red wire to that, and then the middle black wire is the ground on both harnesses, which I then wired a black wire too.

I then split loomed the wires to protect it:

And then installed my test bulb with harness into the fog:

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now for the fun part, installing all of this.

To start off, I first removed the headlights. One phillips screw in the side marker, pull it off from the front, one the side of the headlight there will be two 10mm bolts, and then two 10 mm washers holding them in on the other end from the back, and right off.

Then taking the bumper off. Two 10mm bolts directing underneath, two 10mm bolts where the end of the bumper meets the fender/wheel well, one 10mm bolt directing in the middle behind the grill, and 6 phillips screws holding the wheel wheel/protector onto the bumper, and off.

Then removing the bumper beam, which is directing under the bumper.

Its held in by two bolts on each side:

Bumper beam:

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now one thing I wish I would have saw before doing this is seeing exactly where the fogs mounted, cause at first it was a little tricky and not working for me. But you guys don't have to worry about that. They mount directly onto the bumper beam.

There are a few holes on the bumper beam. There are like 6 to choose from, but hopefully these pics can guide you to the right ones, and you will know when the holes match up, obviously. It can be a little tricky getting that bracket to go over the beam tho, be careful, and gentle. I put the outer edge over first, and then pulled and slip the inner end over last.

Inner hole:

Outter hole:

And mounted:

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now for wiring, and connections.

In your sidemarker/signal harness, there are three wires, one of them being a red/blue parking light wire. That is the wire you want to pull power from, and wire your positive from the fog harness from.

The other black wire will also need to be grounded, in which case you can ground to any metal chassis spot you want, I grounded it on the chassis post under the headlight:

Each side wires the same, and what I did, is give each side a switch to have complete control over the fogs. Each fog has its own switch. Get a regular toggle switch and add wire to each end. One end of the switch is going to go to the parking light wire, and the other end of the switch will go to the positive from the harness. This way the switch is in between the connections, and in turn you can turn it on and off.

I ran the wires from the side of the fender well connection:

Thru the firewall:

And then to the driver side kick panel where I installed both of the switches:

Once again, its the SAME for both sides.

Make sure to split loom all the wiring, to protect it from heat and any type of wear and tear.

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now's a good time to test to make sure they work. With all of your connections in order up to this point, turn them on.

I first used a reg 9007 bulb for the test:

On, perfect.

Then I connected the HIDs, turned them on, and they were on for one sec. and pop! Blew the tail lamp fuse located in the fuse box next to the battery. It was a 10A fuse, replaced it with a 30A, and NO problems:

Now for mounting the ballasts.

Took me a minute to fine a good spot, but once I found it, I found it. It worked out perfect, and you can't see it at all, and its protected.

Mount both the fogs to the bumper beam:

And put the bumper beam back on. Then mount the ballasts (Use self-taping screws to get thru the metal when mounting and making grounds):

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your fogs are now installed! You may have to do some adjusting to get them aimmed right, in which case they have a adjusting screw on there to do it with. Once again, make sure your wires are ran cleaning, away from hot engine parts, and split loom all wiring for protection.

Now for the headlights.

The 8000K Bi HID kit was a little more involved then the SLC Kit.

It has a postive that goes to the battery, two ground wires, and one 9007 harness, you only use one of your harnesses.

Few pics of the different parts of the relay:

I mounted the relay on the bumper beam on the battery side, and I also used the battery side bulb socket (if you have a kit like this, tape up the other harness for protection.)

Then mounted the ballasts for the headlights underneath the headlight like they were before:

Couple pics of the SLC kit mounted in this location from before, for reference:

Perfect Clearance:

Then I installed the bulb in the headlight:

And put everything back together cleanly.

The headlights are done!

·
Retired 2nd Gen'er.
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Finished product, Owwwwwwwwwe weeee!

Just fogs on:

Just heads on:

Fogs and heads on:

At night:

The best, and my fav pic:

Few things to know:

With it wired this way with the switches, if you have them switched to off, they are OFF. When you turn your car on they are off, when you turn the lights on they are off.

When they are on, they are ON. If you have the switch on, when you turn the lights on, they will automatically come on.

And you can also use them with you high beams wired this way with them switched on.

Also, this way DOES WORK. I ran many tests, and it doesn't look like it will cause harm to your car. The fogs come straight on, no flickering, they warm completely up, stay on, I ran them for over 20 mins. with the car off, on, audio all the way, putting massive loads on the batttery with everything on including the headlights, and its fine. Tested it with a voltmeter also, and it reads perfect. Even took a hour drive after the install with everything running, and no problems. Granted I also have a yellow top which I'm sure helps, but you should be fine. MAKE SURE you change your tail lamp fuse to a 30A and fuse the harness.

And one more thing, this was not easy. VERY VERY time consuming. Took me about 10 hours all said and done, doing everything including making the harnesses, testing, and all that. I should include another 2 hours onto that making this thread, lol. But I have a good amount of experience, which made it pretty much smooth sailing with no problems really, and it was still a time consuming pain in the ass.

If you haven't done anything like this before, I would considering consulting a friend, me, or getting it professionally done. Consider yourself warned.

F.A.Q. Me!!!!

·
july notm winner!
6,366 Posts
yeah....you see thats why i dont do faq's....because thats exactly how mine would look....i would go into every detail about how to do something

good job dude....now mail me your old hid's.....ill buy em

·
Some assembly REQUIRED!
2,181 Posts
+2 for faq

Yo B, you have a pic of all the lights off. I'm interested to see what they look like in the daytime.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
good job on the write up bro. looks great! Although I do want to suggest that you don't use a 30amp on the tail light fuse. If its blowing the fuse its using too much current. What I did with my setup is I ran a relay so that the parking lights weren't supplying the fogs power just enough power to trip the relay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
+3 for the FAQ. man those fogs look hot with that tint. is it regular window tint or special one like for the tail lights? too bad im on the other side of the country or i would go check your car out in person. awesome job man:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

·
Registered
435 Posts
i have mine wired just on a switch like aftermarket lights...this shit was too complicated at the time..but all you have to do it change the tail lamp fuse??? and my current harness has a fuse on it..please reply back

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.