The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the differences in the engines, intake,exhaust, programming, between the Altima, Maxima and soon to be 350 ZX. The z will most likely have different camshafts exhaust and intake,programming etc, but what provides the 20 hp difference. Im sure we would all like the extra 20 hp if it's an easy low cost swap. Rumor has it it's intake and exhaust differences ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
According to the brochures, the max and alty both have continuously variable timing control (cvtc) and a variable intake system. The max also has a variable muffler. I also went to the dealer and it looks like the air box on the max is almost twice as large and is mounted differently. There are a couple of rumors going around that the alty hp might be underrated to keep the max owners happy. I really don't see how an intake and exhaust can account for a 20 hp difference. As for the 350z, they are probably going to have different cams, etc. as well as a different compression ratio. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Altima can easily put out more than 260 hp... that is for sure... if the ECU doesn't step in and mess up your modifications.

The intake on the Altima is super restrictive... just open the hood and look at how it only gets air from a small opening above the radiator. Throw out that damn air box and resonator and you have a huge horsepower boost there alone.

The exhaust isn't a variable capacity version either, so I assume changing that out, will free up atleast 5 hp at the crank... plus if they ever make headers then you can replace that too.

Might have to change the mass airflow sensor too... but overall that car can see huge horsepower increases with just an intake. Too bad the interior of the car is made very poorly. The Altima has the best exterior, but they should have spent alot more time on that interior.

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
5.9 seconds is already amazing. The torque steer ia already bad with adding more horsepower. Road & Track's assesment is spot on. They pretty much liked everything but the bad torque steer and the light steering feel.
Owning my 3.5 I agree totally with their remarks. I wonder if they did not have such overboosted steering assist at low speeds would the torque steer be as bad?
It would be a monster at 300 HP!
Maybe some really fat sticky performance tires would help?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Until members actually dyno 02 Altimas and Maxima...I not just assuming that there actually is a HP difference between the two. The Altima could just be underated to protect the Maxima's market position. Same as GM does with Z28s and C5 corvettes

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
c5hardtop said:
Until members actually dyno 02 Altimas and Maxima...I not just assuming that there actually is a HP difference between the two. The Altima could just be underated to protect the Maxima's market position. Same as GM does with Z28s and C5 corvettes

i agree... we need dyno charts...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts