The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for headers for my 2009 3.5SE and have never found anything and from reading forums I was under the impression that no one made headers for 4th gen 3.5's. The other day I found a set of OBX headers on Ebay that claim they will fit 2007-2016 3.5 Altimas. Does anyone know if these will actually fit? If they will fit what is the install like on a 4th gen sedan? I currently have a Racingline y-pipe and a Borla catback and I want a set of cat-less headers to go with everything.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
That's pretty exciting news...interesting that they don't specify auto or manual transmission... Hmmm, no cats whatsoever...hope the antifouler trick works, I can't get emissions test with a light on up here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm up in Canada and don't have emissions tests! Don't really have to worry about an SES showing up although I'd rather it didn't. I was taking a look at the FSM and it looks like doing the headers on 3.5's is going to be a massive pain in the butt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I actually bought them two weeks ago for my '10 SR Sedan. They arrived well packaged. The y-pipe looked nicely made, but the headers tho were not well fabricated. I already requested a returning label and ship them back later today.

Install process: It may be very difficult to install the headers due to tight location. When I consulted with a shop they said the engine may need to be pulled out in order to install the headers properly. You do not want to get any leaks because then you run into a lot more problems. The first quote was $500-1000...what? Not sure if this is a realistic price, I am just saying what I was told. I will speak with other people to determine if I wanna go that route.

Headers and y-pipe cost $500-550 and if the installation is that costly too, you may wanna think twice before you buy. There are definitely some other cheaper mods you can do first before you invest so much money in order to improve performance. Also, headers are known to give not too much power for the cost, to my knowledge.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm up in Canada and don't have emissions tests! Don't really have to worry about an SES showing up although I'd rather it didn't. I was taking a look at the FSM and it looks like doing the headers on 3.5's is going to be a massive pain in the butt.
You may wanna invest and flash the ECU. That will get rid of the error code, open up the car and get you better gas mileage. It is relatively cheap and definitely worthy

·
zerolimit
186 Posts
Headers and y-pipe cost $500-550 and if the installation is that costly too, you may wanna think twice before you buy. There are definitely some other cheaper mods you can do first before you invest so much money in order to improve performance. Also, headers are known to give not too much power for the cost, to my knowledge.

im sure u can find someone to do it in the 300-400$ range and for the money its some of the most power u will get out of any mod

·
Registered
55 Posts
im sure u can find someone to do it in the 300-400$ range and for the money its some of the most power u will get out of any mod

I agree that you can find someone to do it for less. It was the first shop I asked and I don't even know these guys. It happened to be near by, that is all.

You may be right. I cannot argue on that because I am not so knowledgeable. I learn as I go. So maybe this is one of the most beneficial things to do to the car. Now I decided to go with other stuff for now. I saw this thread so wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gutting stock pre-cats and installing anit-foulers on the O2 bungs will give you the same gains. The y-pipe (RacingLine) is the only portion you need to replace to get proper gains. In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble installing headers on the FWD 3.5 unless you just want to say you have headers and/or you like the "bling" factor.

Reactions: TitoValchev

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gutting stock pre-cats and installing anit-foulers on the O2 bungs will give you the same gains. The y-pipe (RacingLine) is the only portion you need to replace to get proper gains. In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble installing headers on the FWD 3.5 unless you just want to say you have headers and/or you like the "bling" factor.
Good point made here and I second that! Speaking for myself, I do not like to spend money just to be in the game. If it is not beneficial or really unnecessary I will pass. The main reason I decided to give OBX headers a go was the price ratio OBX:Racingline. Racingline y-pipe is $300 (excluding shipping and waiting time...), whereas OBX package includes headers and the y-pipe for additional $200. Now, my etuner said even just by replacing the stock cats with hi-flo will be enough if you are on a budget.

Speaking of Racingline y-pipe, can you guys tell me how do you like it? I was interested in it before I found the OBX products, but also I was concerned that I will have to wait at least a month to receive it (previous experiences with Racingline) ... Please give me your thought about the y-pipe. Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
but also I was concerned that I will have to wait at least a month to receive it (previous experiences with Racingline) ... Please give me your thought about the y-pipe. Thanks
- Just ordered mine on 1/23/2016
- Shipped via UPS from Delta, BC, Canada on 1/28/2016
- Package was released by the clearing agency in Seattle, WA on 1/29/2016
- Last location was Portland, OR on 1/30/2016
- Expected delivery to OHIO is Friday, 02/05/2016, By End of Day

As for how I like it, I'll let you know once I get it and install it. :smile

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sweet! Alright two week waiting time is not terrible. Yeah, please do keep me posted with a review. Are you with stock ECU?
Stock ECU & modified intake.

Purchased eBay catback (will install at same time). I'll post progress when installing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, it seems like a lot more time and money than I want to spend just to have new headers on my car. I wish it wasn't such a pain though, I've got my y-pipe and Borla catback and honestly am not entirely happy with it. It just not quite loud enough. I love the rumble you get with aftermarket headers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
obx has been out for years and only a small hand full of people run them, and all of them said the quality sucks and the fitment is worse. Pulling the motor is the best way to install them, but it could be done without pulling the motor but ive been told that its next to impossible and youll be hating life.
If you want headers get a set of 3rd gen SE-R headers and swap the 4 studs, theyll fit better without the guess work and there alot cheaper.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Shawn(tooslow) is running them on his 07, and alot of the guys who put the 07+ vq in early maximas use them. Let me find a link

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a few studs need to be swapped but other than that do the SE-R headers fit perfectly in 4th gens? I'm assuming there is also some other custom fab work that will need to be done to make them fit

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am impressed. First, the price is way better than OBX, which means more money left for cams and upper manifold lol It does not sound to be too bad of a job, but with the right people doing it tho. In his case the engine was already out and easier to work with, which is a big advantage. I will definitely read through the thread

1 - 20 of 26 Posts