The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new to the forum and have issues I need help with. Hope someone can contribute.

I have a 2002 nissan altima 3.5 liter. I just started messing with it a couple weeks ago. I wanted to know how the coolant system flows. The car get hot after running it approx. 30 minutes. Once it cools I dont have to put much fluid in it so I dont think its a leak. Im not sure the coolant is flowing through the system properly. Maybe a thermostat issue or a water pump not working correctly. Any ideas on where to begin would be appreciated.

· Super Moderator
874 Posts
Hi. I am new to the forum and have issues I need help with. Hope someone can contribute.

I have a 2002 nissan altima 3.5 liter. I just started messing with it a couple weeks ago. I wanted to know how the coolant system flows. The car get hot after running it approx. 30 minutes. Once it cools I dont have to put much fluid in it so I dont think its a leak. Im not sure the coolant is flowing through the system properly. Maybe a thermostat issue or a water pump not working correctly. Any ideas on where to begin would be appreciated.
When the coolant system gets hot after 30 minutes, feel the large bottom radiator hose; it should be hot to the touch. If it's lukewarm, then the radiator is plugged up. It's also possible the thermostat is bad. If you plan to replace the thermostat, get an OEM unit from a Nissan dealer; it'll cost more but aftermarket types such as "Stant" can many times cause more problems such as overheating or running too cold.

Here's a diagram of the system flow:

Rectangle Font Engineering Parallel Schematic

· Registered
24 Posts
When the coolant system gets hot after 30 minutes, feel the large bottom radiator hose; it should be hot to the touch. If it's lukewarm, then the radiator is plugged up. It's also possible the thermostat is bad. If you plan to replace the thermostat, get an OEM unit from a Nissan dealer; it'll cost more but aftermarket types such as "Stant" can many times cause more problems such as overheating or running too cold.

Here's a diagram of the system flow:

View attachment 104097
agree

1 - 4 of 4 Posts