The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm at 45k and I think I need to replace the transmission fluid. I've read the forums and planning on going with the redline 60/40 MTL/MT-90 mix. Any idea how much I would need? 2qts?

Can anyone show me where the manual transmission speedometer pinion gear/filler plug is? I'm planning on changing the fluid andI read somewhere it is easier to do once the cold air intake is removed.

I haven't done that yet, but I was wondering where the filler plug is. If someone can take a picture, that'd be helpful. If the drain plug can be shown also, that would be great.

I've tried to use this as reference but it seems different.
Technical Articles: Altima Coupe Redline Manual Trans fluid tutorial

Also, is there a basic gasket and o-ring that I can get from nissan? Or is those sizes specific to the transmission?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i have located the speedometer pinion gear, and i think i have the drain plug located. i don't have an inverted hex atm so i stopped there for now.

comparing to the coupe tutorial, it uses a (10mm?) hex bit socket but the drain plug from that car appears on the bottom of the transaxle and faces downward. the one in my car, if what i think is the drain plug, it is facing the side. can anyone confirm or have a picture of an 05-06 altima manual transmission drain plug?

also, what is an easy way to check the fluid level from the pinion gear opening hole? its so deep down in there. do i just drain and put ~2 quarts as mentioned in the recommended fluids?

·
Tillman Welding
907 Posts
I think I used close to four...

there are two plugs on the drivers side behind the wheel and splash panel.. one is drain one is fill.. just get an allen wrench set, one with bigger sizes.. not the little set..

u will know by sticking your finger in the hole, u can usually feel fluid when its full. what I like to do is fill it until it wants to start dripping out then cap it real quick... if the car is jacked up bring it down before u cap it, this will level it out.. u dont have to take off the wheel to do this...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the help. i found location and filled about 1.7qts of 50/50 redline mtl/mt-90 mix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just changed the transmission fluid on my 02 Altima last week with Redline MT-90 that I bought from Amazon.com. I went to Redline's website and found out they do have 75w-85 but I think either one will be just fine.

What is confusing is the service manual says the capacity is 4-7/8 pints, so I put in 5 pints. All in all I put in about 2-3/4 qt. without filling it all the way to the fill hole level.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For the people that haven't bought fluid, just buy the Redline MT-85 and be done with it.

The fluid capacity is 2.2L.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok I know I just bumped a SUPER old thread, but I wanted to see if anyone found out for sure how much gear oil the manual trans actually takes on a refill.

I just did a drain/fill on my 2002 3.5L manual trans, and I was able to get just about 3 full quarts of Redline 75w-85 (MT-85) fluid in before it started to dribble out of the fill hole. Does that sound right? Each bottle of redline is 1 quart. The last poster said it takes 2.2L, which is more or less what the FSM calls for (it says 2.3L). 2.3L is ~2.4 quarts. But anyway, I was looking in my owners manual and it says 3.4 - 3.6 liters for manual transmission gear oil capacity:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hoping if I reply to this thread it'll be seen. It's old, but it's the closest to what I was looking for.

I have a 2002 3.5 5MT altima that needs a transmission fluid change. However, the allen head transmission fill and drain plug are both rounded out. What should I do to get these bolts out? And if I ruin them trying to get them out, hos should I go about getting the exact same bolts to replace them?

Thanks in advance

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,424 Posts
The fact that you're having difficulty getting them off, would suggest they shouldn't be put back on? I don't see anything special about them, so is a standard hex-head will fit and seal...that should be good enough...and better than putting rounded allen heads back in. Here's the answer, straight from the FSM

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fact that you're having difficulty getting them off, would suggest they shouldn't be put back on? I don't see anything special about them, so is a standard hex-head will fit and seal...that should be good enough...and better than putting rounded allen heads back in. Here's the answer, straight from the FSM

View attachment 100395
Thanks. I saw the same page from the service manual. But this doesn't answer my question, how should I go about getting the plugs out with stripped heads? And where should I look to find new plugs to replace the old?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,424 Posts
I defer to others, but I'd be inclined to drill a decent diameter hole into the allen/hex opening and use a bolt extractor into that hole. Regardless, you'll get the oil out once you drill through, and if you cannot remove the remaining portion,just tap your drilled hole and install a smaller bolt to seal. I'm sure others have much stronger sorcery for this kind of thing.

Dealer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with the extractor.
Pretty bad that I just did my fluid a few years back. The plugs were tight but did come out.
Use a good quality short extractor. I have had rotten luck with the long ones

1 - 16 of 16 Posts