The Nissan Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Troll Stomper
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
nse70 brought up a good point while talking performance numbers derived in the Motorweek testing.

Are you 3.5 owners putting premium in the tank? Or are you filling up with unleaded? If you've done both, have you noticed differences?

Before anyone says it, here is what the manual says:
"NISSAN recommends the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96). If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91), but you may notice a decrease in performance." found on Technical and consumer information 9-3

EDIT: For the record, this was never a "dood, can I get away with putting shiddy gas in my new 3.5?" question.

·
Master of the UOA
238 Posts
What we need is someone who lives in the middle of nowhere to go out to their local major interstate highway, and fill the tank with regular gas.

Drive the car 200 miles in one direction, using the cruise control to keep the vehicle steady at 65 mph. When they hit 200 miles, turn around, and head back to that same gas pump. Your tank is now mostly empty.

Fill the tank up with premium this time.
Drive the same 200 miles at the same cruise controlled speed, turn around, and come back.
Fill the tank up again with whatever gas you want.

Now compare the amount of fuel used between the regular and the premium.
I bet it's exactly the same.

Doing this test with both the 4cylinder and 6 cylinder engines would make it even more interesting. Hell, throw in a set of cvt and manual transmissioned vehicles, to make it really interesting.

Is it just me, or do I love to suggest tests? :)

·
日产汽&
1,203 Posts
there a differance with the :3gens: 3.5VQs .. youre not going to feel a differance with CC at a steady 65mph .. maybe MPG .

but try going up a hill with 87oct and then 91oct.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,789 Posts
Never tried regular....but I doubt I'd notice a difference. Only use octane not recommended if it is a a lease or a rental

·
Registered
794 Posts
This question has been asked about 2.5million times. The 3.5 VQ engine is a performance engine which needs premium fuel and there is a difference.

Had the car for 5 years and never used anything but premium gas except one time when it was early in the morning and needed to be up in a couple of hours so went to QT and filled up with their crappy premium and noticed a difference right away and thats premium, nm regular!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is my take on the Premium vs Regular gasoline. My last car was a 98 Maxima 5sp. Originally I had used Super Unleaded gas (93 Octane) from either Mobil or Sunoco religiously. When gas prices topped 3.50 in NY, I cut down to either 87 or 89 Octane. What I encountered was not a decrease in performance, but engine knock. Thinking it was something major, I brought it to the Dealer, and was told it was one of two things, either it was the grade of Gas or the Coils (Much like the 07, the 98 Max used coils on each cylinder). To replace the coils would have cost me upwards of $600 for the aftermarket parts. So I went back to using Super Unleaded (93) and within a few tank fulls, the knock went away. As someone said in a previous post, I only noticed the knock under heavy acceleration (WOT), and most always going up a hill. I never noticed a decrease in performance, but I did notice the engine knock. An occasional lower octane would not hurt, but what are we talking saving a few cents? 3.5 owners stay with the higher octane. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This premium vs regular debate and its effect on mileage and performance is silly.

In high compression engines over approx 10:1 you can get maximum hp only with a higher knock index gasoline aka premium. If you are not going to need the higher performance, i.e. cruising at 75 mph or lower, the computer in the car can deliver on regular gas by varying spark and valve/fuel injection timing.

If you need to measure 0-60, 1/4 mile 45-70 mph on a test track, race uphill on long grades of 4-6 percent in Colorado, the engine needs premium so it can extract the maximum energy out of the fuel to deliver its rated hp and torque without the fuel exploding (pinging) instead of burning (which is normal) in the cylinders. Nissan states that you need premium to get the rated 270 hp, not regular. The rating tests were on premium, not regular. hp (and peak torque) is lower on regular.

Regarding mileage: If you ran both regular and premium on a cruise at 75 mph for 200 miles, on a flat road with less than 2 percent grades, your gas mileage should be theoretically identical. The car would never need to go over 3000 rpm and would be developing 60 to 100 hp or thereabouts, not 270. This is where the magazines and news articles get off saying we are being conned into being asked to put in premium instead of the cheaper regular by the car and oil companies. Well, the choice is yours, top performance or fuel cost. If you want one, you cant have the other.

When it comes to pinging on regular gas, you notice it when you switch because the computer tries to listen for pings using its two knock sensors. Until it adjusts completely, you will notice pinging when you suddenly switch to premium from regular or vice versa. The computer is not a octane measuring instrument, its adjusts all its parameters to get the most out of the fuel on a "gradual" basis. The new engine has twin knock sensors instead of one and this is so can be more sensitive to the pinging and adjustments, by having each sensor closer to each cylinder bank to "listen" more accurately, and thus adjust quicker than a single sensor.

·
Troll Sniffer
1,249 Posts
OK, if you have the 2.5 use regular, if you have the 3.5 use premium. I don't understand why this is such a big deal. If an extra $.20-$.25/gallon is going to break the bank, then get a 2.5, you'll save more than enough money just getting the smaller engine, and you'll save more by buying cheap gas!

·
HIDaholic
1,005 Posts
Use the premium or you'll be sorry.

Do a search...long term use of regular gas in the 3.5 WILL cause problems such as knocking and stuff like that. Dont be cheap...you just bought a $30,000 car...why save a dollar or two to fill up the tank. That just doesnt make sense.

The debate on regular vs. premium in general can and will go on forever and ever. Infact I bet if you counted up the amount of premium vs regular threads on this forum it would make up at least a third of all the threads on this entire forum.

One member here bought a used 3.5 in which regular gasoline was used on it by the previous owner...he took his car to the track and ran a 16.5 if I remember correctly. His car was in really bad shape.

Consider yourself warned.

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
I did a dyno, and it came out with approximately 10hp less on 89 instead of 93.

I could seriously feel the difference on aggressive acceleration.

If you want to save money on ever increasing gas the answer is really easy - DRIVE LESS and WALK MORE!!!! Your body and wallet will thank you in the end!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
89 is mid grade, 87 is regular. My guess torque would be reduced at all rpms (to avoid pinging) and hence hp would be around 240 or 30hp less. torque x rpm = hp.

Pinging can be low speed heavy knocking, considered not as dangerous as compared to high speed pinging under load, considerably more damaging to the engine. The high speed piginging may be drowned out by engine roar and hence is not easily heard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
use 91 on a 3.5 if your too cheap to use this gas then your to cheap to buy an 3.5 so save headaches and your pistons.

·
"Evie"
513 Posts
use premium if your car recommends premium, use regular if regular is the minimum. there are minimal performance increases by putting premium into your regular required car, there are noticeable performances when you put regular into a premium recommended car

·
Registered
35 Posts
nothing to do with performance... if you drive your car hard with low octane gas you will get ping.

Yes the car has something like 2 knock sensors but they are triggered by ping. so hence low octane+ driving hard= destruction of engine

·
Registered
35 Posts
^^^^Did your name use to be smoke back in the day?
and did you own a 2002-2003 altima?

·
Troll Stomper
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shokhead said:
If ya get a 3.5 and have to ask about the gas,you should have gotten the 4 .
Wow, thats great input. Thanks a million man!

·
'07 Altima 3.5 SE
202 Posts
Silent Z said:
Wow, thats great input. Thanks a million man!
hes basically saying, if you paid the extra money to get the better car, then you need to pay the extra money to take care of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.