The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on I 40 one night running at about 70 behind this auto 2001 or so Z 28. I was curious on how the 3.5 Alty would fair against one of these power demons.

I pulled up beside him and dropped into 3rd. I kept gassing and letting off until he bit. He finally punched it and he couldn't or at leasts didn't pull away from me. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

I talked to a friend of mine that drives an auto Z 28 and he told me that for some reason those cars tend to stay in over-drive when you punch them at high speeds. Anyone have any input on what may have been the case? We ran up to about 95, 100 somewhere in that range.

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
When people do that to me on the highway it usually annoys me to death so I give it a burst of acceleration or just accelerate in 5th gear and they take off thinking I'm racing, and then I'm rid of them. They probably think they won a race, but that's okay. :p

P.S. Not saying that's necessarily what happened in your case, I just prefer racing from stops where we can end it at a reasonable speed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
mcjuice, sorry to say it, but I'm guessing he didn't know you were racing. An LS1, auto or not, would absolutely kill a 3.5 from a roll. I know these cars well, and I have both. Even an unmodded LS1 is much faster than a 3.5 stock......

·
614 Posts
Totaly agreed....my alty..even though it runs a 13.8.....feels so much slower then the car it replaced...an 01 SS.... but, I owned an LT1 Z28 94 once..and those aren't quite as fast....that wouda been alot closer race....LS1'a are strong motors

·
Registered
899 Posts
The LT1's sound great, but they definately are not as strong as the LS1's, especially at the top end. Nice time on your Alti. I'd like to get mine to the track this coming season.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He knew that I was racing, you guys are right, he was probably toying with me though. I have driven one before, and I know what they can do. I drove the 6 speed, not the auto. It just seemed weird. Oh well, so much for having high hopes.

·
Registered
899 Posts
mcjuice22, I know what you mean when you say it just seems weird. The LS1 F-bodies drive and feel completely different than the Alti's. Both have their good and bad points. Here are a few:

F-bodies have bad visibility. Alti's visibility is excellent.
F-bodies don't ride nearly as smoothly as the Alti's.
Alti's seats are more comfortable, IMO.
Alti's have a back seat that humans can fit in.
F-bodies feel MUCH more planted and stable at high speeds.
F-bodies have a 6 speed available.
This will surprise some, but the F-bodies interior fit and finish is
better. The exterior f&f probably goes to the Alti.
Fbodies are worthless in snow.
Fbodies have the LS1. And RWD. And that makes me do this
everytime I drive it :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts