The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this problem at the 240 site. Here is the story. Last friday my wife started my 3.5 se automatic and drove for 1/4. The car stalled. Started it again and drove back home. I got out of the house 30 minutes later and tried to start the car. The car would turn start for a second, and shut down. Later that day, before the tow truck arrived, I replaced my pop charger with the factory air box. I wanted to make sure the dealership did not have an excuse to blame the intake. Good thing I changed it because that afternoon the dealership told me the air meter, or MAS had taken a dump. My question is this do you guys think the pop charger is to blame? Keep in mind that the intake was very secure.

·
Parts & Service Manager
399 Posts
Thst is funny you mention your problem. Last week we had a 5spd 02 altima come in. The complaint was the vehicle would not accelerate above 1500 rpms. Well upon inspection my A tech noticed a couple of bolts missing from air box and one from Mass Air flow sensor. Using nissan's consult we found out MAS was bad an needed replacement. Cust stated that he took the intake apart to see if there was a problem. Well its a shame he had to pay $600. bucks for a mass air flow because nissan corp declined responsibilty. Good thing you put it back together properly cause you would have had to pay for it. This guy had customer exhaust and a few other goodies. I felt bad. Oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you think the air intake was the problem? I made sure I placed the box back on securely. I was having problems with one of the screws. One of the bottom ones. I did not have the right tools to screw it on right. I was going to leve it off, but after reconsidering, I asked a neighbor for a special socket. Good thing I made sure everything was on right. One more thing should I put my intake back on?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
600Bucks

Oh hell no! That made up my mind. I ain't touchin it. rlsr...if that guy would get an atty. i think he would win. With all the loose nuts bolts, etc. it is possible nissan left some out of the air box. He never should have admitted it. My dealer in town would not have known even if it were missing the box! How many times have you taken a car in for something and they forgot to put something back on? Ford did it to me a few times! Get home, open the hood and see shit hangin from your engine.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Intake, not a problem...

cbarrios28 said:
I still think the intake had nothing to do with it. Wow 600 bills for a MAS is damn steep. If it ever happens to me again I will just order it myself, and put it on.
I agree 100%.
My Pop-Charger has been sittin' pretty on my
3.5 for 1,500 miles now without any problems.
I guess their are some defective MAS out there.
Keep your eyes peeled to see if this doesn't turn into
an epidemic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.