The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
In the words of Hillary Clinton..."what difference at this point does it make?"

Would you not own one if the top speed were only 130 mph?
Would you buy one if the top speed was 132mph?

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Does anyone know what the 2015 3.5 Altima SL Speed limiter is set at? Car and Driver tested the 2013 and it topped out at 131 wondering if the 15 is the same.

2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
What speed are your tires rated for ? I wouldn't get anywhere close to that mark. There are no roads you can drive at that speed are you taking it to the track ? If so you will want some suspension and brake upgrades before you try the high speed stuff.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
In the words of Hillary Clinton..."what difference at this point does it make?"

Would you not own one if the top speed were only 130 mph?
Would you buy one if the top speed was 132mph?
What speed are your tires rated for ? I wouldn't get anywhere close to that mark. There are no roads you can drive at that speed are you taking it to the track ? If so you will want some suspension and brake upgrades before you try the high speed stuff.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ All this.

Car and Driver = 131MPH

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've ALLEGEDLY never had mine over 125 so I couldn't tell you. But to answer Throckmorton, you're DAMN RIGHT I WOULDN'T. My POS Chevy Malibu would hit 110 and cut out and it pissed me off to no end......allegedly...........so I've heard:)

Chevy's attributed to the speed rating of the tires. My 2009 sonata 2.4L would hit 150 allegedly.... and had tires V rated tires which is 149mph so maybe it's a thing. The tires on my Altima are H rated I believe which is 130.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I've ALLEGEDLY never had mine over 125 so I couldn't tell you. But to answer Throckmorton, you're DAMN RIGHT I WOULDN'T. My POS Chevy Malibu would hit 110 and cut out and it pissed me off to no end......allegedly...........so I've heard:)

Chevy's attributed to the speed rating of the tires. My 2009 sonata 2.4L would hit 150 allegedly.... and had tires V rated tires which is 149mph so maybe it's a thing. The tires on my Altima are H rated I believe which is 130.
Not sure if this is where you're headed with that idea... my Conti EC-DW tires are rated at 186mph. That doesn't mean I'm able to get the car up to 186, though...

·
Registered
286 Posts
You're telling me you have OEM tires rated for 186mph? On what?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not sure if this is where you're headed with that idea... my Conti EC-DW tires are rated at 186mph. That doesn't mean I'm able to get the car up to 186, though...
Well that's a waste. Tiresect.com says you do indeed have Y rating as an OEM but Caranddriver says you're limited to 141mph. Might I recommend a 2008-2010 Hyundai Sonata?:) I loved that car. I'm not so young anymore and I've got kids now, so I probably not going to be up that high again without a roll cage. And I don't have the money to be racing properly.

Looks like the GT-R is limited to 156 so I'm betting the Altima is far less.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/22/nissan-gt-r-recognizes-tracks-via-gps-removes-speed-limiter/

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Well that's a waste. Tiresect.com says you do indeed have Y rating as an OEM but Caranddriver says you're limited to 141mph. Might I recommend a 2008-2010 Hyundai Sonata?:) I loved that car. I'm not so young anymore and I've got kids now, so I probably not going to be up that high again without a roll cage. And I don't have the money to be racing properly.

Looks like the GT-R is limited to 156 so I'm betting the Altima is far less.

Nissan GT-R recognizes tracks via GPS, removes speed limiter
Hah. The speed rating is, for sure. I'll never hit 186. I'd bet, once the governer is removed, I'll never hit over 160MPH due to wind resistance vs HP. The Alti isn't exactly "aerodynamic." LOL!

Make no mistake, though, I didn't buy the tires for the speed rating.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I got 50,000 on my 30,000 mile v rated tires. I have a 100mile 70mph daily commute. It left me wondering do higher rated tires year longer or just have a downgraded estimated life from the same tire in lower speed ratings. I never looked further into it but what do you think?

Also in Illinois just east of St Louis is a pay to race motor sports park if you ever did want to ''open 'er up'':)

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I got 50,000 on my 30,000 mile v rated tires. I have a 100mile 70mph daily commute. It left me wondering do higher rated tires year longer or just have a downgraded estimated life from the same tire in lower speed ratings. I never looked further into it but what do you think?

Also in Illinois just east of St Louis is a pay to race motor sports park if you ever did want to ''open 'er up'':)
Typically (though not always the case), the higher the speed rating, the stickier the tire compound. The stickier the tire compound, the shorter the lifespan of the tire. If you're driving 100 miles per daily commute, I'd look at a good set of all-season performance tires. That's probably what you had that lasted you 50K miles. There are a few higher speed rated all-season tires, but buy the rubber that meets your uses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts