The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the Transmission slipping into 3rd gear. By slipping I mean, it would rev up 500-1k rpm before it would switch to 3rd gear.

Today, the car does not go into third gear.

I can hardly get it into second, keeps revving, then finally catches second gear. But it will never go into 3rd gear, even if I move it from Drive to 3.

Also, the fluid on the dipstick looks brownish and has a burning smell. Since the dipstick is near impossible to read, I couldn't tell, but it looked like the fluid level was really low. I put half bottle of fluid in, then drvoe it around for a while, then checked again and it still looked the same....low. I put the rest of the bottle in. The tran is still messed up. Unbelievable

After 26k miles tran muffed up?

Now I have to bring it to the imbasils at Nissan, and be out of a car for a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Im curious to the cause of it. Everyones been bitchin about the auto trans.. THey all slip a lil like that. I hope that this isnt a sign of things to come......Let us know what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bruncek said:
Im curious to the cause of it. Everyones been bitchin about the auto trans.. THey all slip a lil like that. I hope that this isnt a sign of things to come......Let us know what they say.

This isn't a little thing. The car is undrivable. It hardly goes into second gear. And doesn't go into third gear at all.

I'll keep you all posted on what the problem is.
 

·
Be Prepared, son.
Joined
·
613 Posts
VirtualOutlook said:
This isn't a little thing. The car is undrivable. It hardly goes into second gear. And doesn't go into third gear at all.

I'll keep you all posted on what the problem is.
I had the same problem. The question I have for you is..do your lights for what gear your in come on, on the dash? My SES light came on, and the gear lights wouldn't light up, and (most important(well, not as a good thing)) the car wouldn't shift into 2nd gear! Then sometimes it would shift into 2nd, but not into 3rd. My Transmission Computer went out, or it blew a relay or something, they had to replace the whole computer, and put some slack on the shifter cable, and everything was good to go. No problems since. Took them a while to figure it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AltimaRookie said:
I had the same problem. The question I have for you is..do your lights for what gear your in come on, on the dash? My SES light came on, and the gear lights wouldn't light up, and (most important(well, not as a good thing)) the car wouldn't shift into 2nd gear! Then sometimes it would shift into 2nd, but not into 3rd. My Transmission Computer went out, or it blew a relay or something, they had to replace the whole computer, and put some slack on the shifter cable, and everything was good to go. No problems since. Took them a while to figure it.
You know what, I thought the shift light on the dash lit for what gear, but I'll double check when I drop the car off tomorow.

My SES light is on also. But could this computer being bad cause the fluid to look brown and burnt?
 

·
Be Prepared, son.
Joined
·
613 Posts
VirtualOutlook said:
My SES light is on also. But could this computer being bad cause the fluid to look brown and burnt?
Rut Row. That might be a problem. My fluid is(was) fine. But I'm going to have my tranny fluid changed this week along with the oil. I ask the guys if the fluid looks pretty bad, but I have checked my own tranny fluid, and it looks red like it should.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. Dealer was on the phone with Nissan and gave them test measurements. They said to replace the Tranny and not rebuild it.

Brand new Tranny on order. Cant wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They put the new transmission in. I have to pick up the car in the afternoon. They ordered me an emblem for under the hood also, but it is on backorder.

I am concerned as why the tran went after only 25k miles.

Hopefully the new tran they put in is an updated version that can handle the stong 3.5 engine.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top