The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rattled off a 6.29 and a 6.34 in my automatic SE.

Much more pre-loading this time around and "manually" shifted, going from first to second when the tach hit 6,000. The car shifts right at red line, for some reason, and goes into second harder than when left to shift "automatically".

Humidity low, temperature 38 degrees. the 38F is what I think made the biggest difference.

The above times are .42 seconds quicker than I ran last night. Soon, I'll post my 1/4 times, when I can find a longer flat piece of road:D

·
they call me the butcher
1,975 Posts
how are u timing thiese times?

·
they call me the butcher
1,975 Posts
u cant always trust those gtech thing they have been know to be
off by a second
but they have also been very cose to actual time so
i want the blitz-power-id that thing is as acurate as a actual dyno
well all im sayin is when u do get some quarter mile times
those might not or might be ur actuall times

the only way ull know is by goin to a track

·
Registered
15 Posts
"manually" shifted, going from first to second when the tach hit 6,000. The car shifts right at red line, for some reason, and goes into second harder than when left to shift "automatically".

When I run my Sunfire I always manually shift and can get the tires to chirp going 1-2.It never does that when I let it shift itself.I run about .4 sec quicker than the trans can.can't explain it

·
Registered
11 Posts
OhTwoAltimaSE said:
Just rattled off a 6.29 and a 6.34 in my automatic SE.

Much more pre-loading this time around and "manually" shifted, going from first to second when the tach hit 6,000. The car shifts right at red line, for some reason, and goes into second harder than when left to shift "automatically".

Humidity low, temperature 38 degrees. the 38F is what I think made the biggest difference.

The above times are .42 seconds quicker than I ran last night. Soon, I'll post my 1/4 times, when I can find a longer flat piece of road:D

When you say you " manually " shifted what was you speed and will that damage the transmission, dropping gears , and how long did you stay in the lower gear, Just curious.

P.S. I need a catch phrase to put done here too, I'll come up wth
something.

3.5 SE auto, sheer silver, charcoal cloth, moonroof, spoiler,
K & N drop in filter, not much else yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
well they say the gtech's are about .15 sec close to the real numbers.

Now when you do manually shifting, it throws it off more cause there is a slight jerk in the shift.

This thing is an accelerometer, so any little bump on the road or jerk throws the thing off. But if you find a nice smooth road, and try it, like i said it normally comes withing +/- 0.15 secs of accuracy

Dixit

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
I think that might be true. Remember g-tech uses accelerometers to measure the forces being exerted on it. A "jerk" may throw it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I have used the gated shift on my automatic shifting from 1st to 2nd about 7000 RPM bangs into gear like their is something wrong. Has anyone else noticed this?
The valves either float or the computer starts to shut it down @ 7000 RPM

·
N.I.O. Nut
55 Posts
Shifting Question???

How are you guys shifting your Gated shifter???

A) by laying off the gas when shifting or
B) Continue flooring it while shifting

???

Any ideas which is best for the car?

·
Former Alty Owner
961 Posts
Re: Shifting Question???

altimastyle said:
How are you guys shifting your Gated shifter???

A) by laying off the gas when shifting or
B) Continue flooring it while shifting

???

Any ideas which is best for the car?

I'll take choice B) :) No real reason to let up on the gas while shifting, at least that's what I do..

·
Registered
2 Posts
When shifting from 1st to 2nd I stay on the gas. Then after 6000 RPM it bangs to 2nd @ about 7000RPM.
I not sure this is common with this car?

·
N.I.O. Nut
55 Posts
Gated shifting?

Thanks guys. I'm trying to base it on the premise that if it were a standard, when you switch gears, hitting the clutch and such, you release the gas pedal at each gear change. I'm just concern about ruining the transmission.

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
320 Posts
bang/shift/tranny

this is not a Model T

When you stay on the gas the jerk you feel is two things:

the sudden decel/accel forces as the car goes from a low gear to a higher gear.

also, once past 6750 the governor cuts fuel flow down to limit the rpm's of the engine.

these two forces cause the jerk/bang

this is BAD for the tranny and BAD for the engine, but the nissan engines and tranny's are good. i did this for 40,000 miles on my 94 altima and for 60,000 miles on my 92 sentra and never had a problem.

i always manually shift (anywhere from 3500 to 6700 rpm) have 17k miles on my 2k2 alty 3.5auto and have noticed an IMPROVEMENT in my mpg and performance as the car wears in.

when you drive like that, frequently check you tranny/engine fluids/oil and change them more often.

BAD shit for the car means more work, but if you are ok wit the extra work, go for it.

·
Former Alty Owner
961 Posts
Snolden

So are you saying, when shifting gears "manually" on an auto you should let off the gas? I understand the logic.. if that's the case but just want to confirm

·
3.5 DFWGuy
28 Posts
Re: bang/shift/tranny

snolden said:
this is not a Model T

When you stay on the gas the jerk you feel is two things:

the sudden decel/accel forces as the car goes from a low gear to a higher gear.

also, once past 6750 the governor cuts fuel flow down to limit the rpm's of the engine.

these two forces cause the jerk/bang

this is BAD for the tranny and BAD for the engine, but the nissan engines and tranny's are good. i did this for 40,000 miles on my 94 altima and for 60,000 miles on my 92 sentra and never had a problem.

i always manually shift (anywhere from 3500 to 6700 rpm) have 17k miles on my 2k2 alty 3.5auto and have noticed an IMPROVEMENT in my mpg and performance as the car wears in.

when you drive like that, frequently check you tranny/engine fluids/oil and change them more often.

BAD shit for the car means more work, but if you are ok wit the extra work, go for it.
I wouldnt say Nissan has good trannies,ok trannies is better, they are known to fail on Maxima's prematurely especially 3rd gens ones.

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
320 Posts
gas pedal

No, you don't have to take your foot off the gas. Try experimenting with different pressures on the pedal. A very slight release on my car seems to make the car shift better.

Yes we do have a rev speed governor at ~6700-6750rpm.

I have to agree with you on the tranny thing though. Nissan Standard transmissions are around the best around as far as gearing and reliability (no data on the six speed yet, however).

The actual smoothness is another issue that has been discussed on numerous thread.

My previous Nissans (to establish my experience)
87 5 spd sentra
92 5 spd sentra SE-R (best damn vehicle i ever owned)
94 5 spd Altima GXE (also the best damn vehicle i ever owned)
95 5 spd Hardbody pickup
96 Auto sentra gle
02 Auto altima 3.5 (we will see, 17k miles and counting)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts