The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last night around 11PM I coming home from visiting my g/f down in Huntsville, got the cruise control going at around 70 as I am getting into Houston. I see these two cars come up behind me, and pass me then settle in beside each other in front of me. One is a black Eclipse GS-T (exhaust, altezzas, green-glo gauges makes me feel he might've been modded) and a White 240SX (looked stock).

Anyway I am like **** it, I'm bored so I pull in beside them so we are 3 lanes across side-by-side (5 lane highway). Some traffic comes up so we break up and accelerate around the traffic, when we re-group it's just me and the Eclipse. He punches it, but I didn't really notice since I was more concerned with the other cars around, by the time I do notice he's doing about 110 and is flashing his hazards bout 7-8 cars ahead, now I'm mad. I speed up and blow by him and flashed my hazards back, then I waited for him to pull up beside me. We were both doing about 60, one he gets alongside and punches it, this time I'm ready, I punch it too from 4th, immediately surge ahead by half a car he's at my back door, I hit 5th but he must've already been there because as soon as I shifted he made up ground, his front bumper never got past my fender, and we shut it down around 120. Good race I beat him he never got out front but I didn't walk him like I was expecting to.

Then went to edmunds.com and saw why, I knew the Eclipse had 210/214 but I didn't know they were so light (2970lbs) since Mitsu has a rep for making heavy cars.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Another great story as told by Waddy.
You should race more often as I find your
stories to be truely compelling...great
kill (kinda of...:()

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SE-Rious said:
Another great story as told by Waddy.
You should race more often as I find your
stories to be truely compelling...great
kill (kinda of...:()
Thanks Alex, I try to include as much detail as possible so people can get a good feel for the way the race went and also so one can call bullshit :D.

I race whenever the situation presents itself (and whenever it's not too dangerous of course), I find that I don't get alot of interest from the ricers/racers on Westheimer probably because I am stock. I would expect that a bunch of them would love to run a 3.5, a kill would be quite a feather in the cap of a mildly to moderately modded 4-banger (you 100+ shot NOS and 14psi turbo guys are after bigger fish I assume).

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
lucky that the numb nut spent is money on altezzas instead of a manual boost controller... he woulda smoked your ass! good kill, the 240 was probably the camera crew!

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
What would be better between a talon and an eclipse? The awd is an added bonus on the Talon, but what else distinguish the two? Anybody know?

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
body styling, that's pretty much it. there might be a weight difference between the two, like a couple of pounds but not much I would assume.

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Good kill.

I have a kill from a stop on a GST,but from a roll he walked me.They can be murder from a roll.Glad to see he never got ahead.:)

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
1,083 Posts
The Esclipse can be had in AWD. The GS-X is AWD.

·
614 Posts
Stock on stock the 2nd gens DSM's (95-99) r faster.
The 90-94 r slower from the factory, but have better turbos/heads, plus they weigh about 200#'s less..so if u mod thats what style u wanna buy...unless u care more about looks.
U can get a talon in AWD or an Eclipse in AWD
Oh, and there is not a big weight difference between the two..if both car have same the options..
They r cheap to mod..with bout $700 in mods my 90 AWD talon hits 13.30'[email protected] mph in street trim.

·
Banned
3,339 Posts
similar situation happened to me a few days ago...i was out late... i was bored my power was out in the house, so i decided to cruse around, a kid in an eclipse blew past me going about 95. i was like :eek: say what? i dropped it into fourth and caught up to him...( i'm getting cold chills thinking about the engine note climbing steadily in memory) i saw the look on his face like... what the hell is that? a 4 door? we pulled up to a light, he never looked over, he never revved, but i could tell by the grip he had on his steering wheel,and the expression on his face, that he was going to go and he was going to go hard.. I spun the tires badly, and he got a nice jump, at about 30-35mph i regained the lead, and then i just started pulling... until about 100 ish

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
those Mitsubishi turbos suck, they get turbo lag from even the smallest turbo big time. plus those engines are so prone to crank walk it's rediculous, Im not even gonna go into the bad trannys that those cars have.

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
<----wondering where LowFlying GST is...

I must admit,the stock turbo lag is horrible.I beat one from a stoplight race.He was stock,except for muffler.

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HondaKillah said:
Good kill.

I have a kill from a stop on a GST,but from a roll he walked me.They can be murder from a roll.Glad to see he never got ahead.:)
Yeah I figured that he was in the fat part of his powerband when I ran him, they are definitely not a pushover from a roll. I wanted to run him again but a cop got the freeway right front of us and we just cruised till I had to exit.

Yeah Bobby, the VQ has a sweet engine note when you're flogging it, I can only imagine what it'll sound like when I get my exhaust and intake.

·
Smashing slores
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: 3.5SE vs. Eclipse GS-T

mersad99 said:
Shouldn't you have downshifted to 3rd?
Didn't think I'd need it, like I said I didn't expect it to run me that hard, if I had went to third I probably would have walked him or at least pulled out more by more than a hood/front door.

The VQ makes very good power even in high gears, 90% of the time when I need to accelerate quickly on the freeway I don't even shift I just hit the gas and she goes like stink.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts