The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spoiler arrived late today, so I loaded it up in my car and drove to the nearest body shop for a paint and installation quote. The body shop manager read the Stillen instructions, looked at the spoiler and my front bumper, and told me it would cost about $300 bucks! Doesn't this sound way to high? I've seen posts here that mentioned only spending $100 bucks or so for painting and install. I plan to check a few more shops on Monday, but if they also quote around $300 I'm going to sell the damn thing. $550 bucks is way to much money for a simple front lip spoiler.
:angry2:

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
You should search, but I will give you the info anyways
Dont pay more then $175 for a awesome paint job, you can get it sanded and primed and sanded and painted with flex paint and a good clear coat and have all that stuff baked on.

Then install it yourself, make sure you use industrial stength double sided tape and use some bolts where it curves around the front bumper.

Good Luck

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the search already, didn't yeld much help. I've even tried to pm a few people who have one installed, but haven't gotten any replies yet.:(
Installing it myself doesn't seem like a good idea. The Stillen instructions say you have to remove the front bumper to test fit it prior to painting. Plus, it have no idea how to properly mount it either. I just don't trust industrial stength double sided tape to do the job.

·
Proud '02 owner
2,852 Posts
Its too bad I live in NY I would do it for free. Dude it can't be that hard you can do it. Just follow the instructions I'm sure you can test fit it by just having someone help you hold it up against the car.

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
i have no idea, i think it is too much, but UK is gonna stomp FLorida UK #1

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not gonna happen. Gators have some payback for the cats.
Anyone know of any good body shops in Jacksonville, FL?

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
DONT REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER, if you go put the lip on your front bumper right now, the front lip will fit onto the car, its the same when its painted, then you screw two holes onto the front bumper, in the fender well area, then use two rivets or screws, but before that just line the front lip with double sided tap, have a buddy help you so it sits where it is when you install it, screw it in and your done. Shouldnt take more then 15-30 minutes for a good/proper install of the front lip, evn if you have no mechanic skills.

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and pm's guys. I'm now considering doing the install myself.
Couple more questions:

Did you use the screws that came with the lip for mounting? Any chance of posting some pics of the wheel well area and from under the lip?
I'm assuming the shop should paint the entire spoiler, front and back, right?
Do the rivets give a cleaner look than the screws? Do they hold as well? Where did you buy your rivet tool?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
cpo_sharky said:
Thanks for the replies and pm's guys. I'm now considering doing the install myself.
Couple more questions:

Did you use the screws that came with the lip for mounting? Any chance of posting some pics of the wheel well area and from under the lip?
I'm assuming the shop should paint the entire spoiler, front and back, right?
Do the rivets give a cleaner look than the screws? Do they hold as well? Where did you buy your rivet tool?
I'll post some pics on mine later on today! I use the screws that came with the kit but will change them with some black flat ones like the splash guard screws.

The shop only painted the front but I got oversprayed on the back side which I use some scotchbrite to remove the paint, otherwise the double back tape will not stick properly.

I didn't use the rivets since there's no way to take them out easily once their mounted. Get some flat screws (black), it will be a lot better.

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the front lip installed today, and it looks great. Really adds an aggressive look to the front end. Driving home from the body shop I noticed quite a few people checking it out (mostly guys driving honda's):D
Anyway, the total price including paint and installation was $175. Much better than the original $300 quote from another shop. I'm buying a digital camera this weekend, so I'll link some pics next week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts