The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the difference between the two engines? I know they are basically the same but is the comp. ratio different? What accounts for the diffence in hp?Cams more aggresive? Just wondering if you could tweek you 3.5 altima to put out as much hp as the 350Z. Thanks

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The Z has a less restrictive air intake and exhaust in addition to some computer enhancements and probably some internal stuff like differnet cams, etc. I bet the Z doesn't run of regular gas as well as the Altima 3.5 does (yes I know it calls for premium) due to these enhancements.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 350z is a longitudinal V6 layout, and therefore the transmission and bell housing is different. Also, the intake manifold is different. Also, the 350z has a 10.3:1 compression ratio while the altima's V6 only has 10.0:1. Since the bore and stroke are the same between the two engines, this leads me to believe that the 350z has different heads with smaller combustion chambers (or different pistons, but I doubt that).

·
Da Shiznit
1,117 Posts
niceorange said:
Does the Z have a true dual exhaust? Between that and the clearly different intake it should get most of the power there.
In fact one of the first mags that got a hold of a Z tried creating a custom exhaust and their exhaust made the Z lose power. Shows how good nissan's exhaust is......

·
Ar Dont Do That
297 Posts
Fubar said:
In fact one of the first mags that got a hold of a Z tried creating a custom exhaust and their exhaust made the Z lose power. Shows how good nissan's exhaust is......

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
of course the intake manifold is different. for one, its a transverse engine, its gonna be different anyways, and two, the alty is a people mover not a person mover, the power is needed in other areas of the powerband.

·
Registered
35 Posts
tdoyle said:
The Z has a less restrictive air intake and exhaust in addition to some computer enhancements and probably some internal stuff like differnet cams, etc. I bet the Z doesn't run of regular gas as well as the Altima 3.5 does (yes I know it calls for premium) due to these enhancements.
Do you guys run regular gas???

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason why base model SER's have 165hp instead of 175hp even with the same 2.5 engine is because of the ECU and timing. For the 350Z, I bet it's the intake, ECU, timing, and exhaust that makes the difference. They engine shouldn't be any different.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts