The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the second dyno i did, i got 147hp and 142 torque. the third one was todya and what can i say but disappointed. 133hp and 132torque. since the second and the third was the homemade cai w/ the kn filter and putting in a resonator (2.25piping, no cat, and stright muffler was way tooooooo loud).

sat there and tried to figure out what i changed since the last dyno. so i took of the cai and changed it to a wai. wouldnt believe the results. got 139hp and 139.6torque. from taking the cai alone. what a freaking differnce, u know im throwing the cai in the garbage. curious to know if the pr cai would have made the same difference or not.

before i take out the resonator, im waiting for the header and see the difference first. if it is to loud w/ the resonator then i might get the dynomax surper turbo muffler. if its not, and it is berable (on my friends saturn putting in the header actually quieted down his car and he feels a definite gain). then i might take the resonator out. we shall see and i will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea to the wheels. no engine mods just bolt ons. really cant get more detail than the sig. crankshaft pulley, no cat straight pipe, 2.25 pipe to muffler, straight muffler, k&n cone filter, june lightened flywheel, stage 3 clutch cm. i mean the sig pretty much says it all

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Did you make a mistake with the first message? You said:
"since the second and the third was the homemade cai..."
and yet you start with:
"the second dyno i did, i got 147hp and 142 torque"
which would mean you got 147/142 with the homemade CAI.

Did you mean to say the homemade cai was installed since the second run?

By the way, which homemade cai did you have?

We all should thank you for the useful work, by the way. Most people do mods without before and after data and then just post things like "it feels much stronger" blah, blah, blah.

·
Cube Farmer
1,671 Posts
Um, i thought that it was JUN that made the flywheel not "june" as you put it...

·
I don't care
3,191 Posts
I think Mike has a good point. I think the people that are dynoing your ar may be messing up because these numbers are funny. Did they use a wind machine to simulate real driving?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Homemade CAI?

Damn, I was thinking about making a homemade CAI. I thought it improved horsepower, not drained it. Did you make it to the exact specs that they posted on this site?

Anyone got any ideas why a CAI gets less horses?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am not surprised with WAI power gain. As I said before, I had a similar finding when I switched from CAI to WAI. MORE POWER!!!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
altimabk said:
I am not surprised with WAI power gain. As I said before, I had a similar finding when I switched from CAI to WAI. MORE POWER!!!
It's funny how people finally come around to this cai vs wai thing...if the old forums were up, you could search for my post about this finding and read more about it. oh wells.
Jay

·
candy is dandy.
3,298 Posts
im gonna have to call B.S. on this one.first of all,the home made cai is SHIT,GHETTO,SHIT. a true tuner would never use such huge ''plumbing'' piping with more twists and bends in it than a roller coaster.if you know anything remotely close to how an engine makes horsepower and becomes efficent at inhaling and exhaling you would not use a home made cai PIECE OF SHIT.second,to properly tune the intake side of a motor you have to properly tune the exhaust,and you my friend have just fucked your whole shit up by taking out the cat.post your dyno run so we can see it.but ill break it down for you,
ur pulley-3hp (all to the wheel specs.)
wai-3 hp
flywheel-5hp (-3ftlbs. torque)
straight pipe w/muffler -4hp (-5ftlbs.torque)
so a stock altima dynos out at the wheels at 120hp roughly,and you have added 15 hp over stock thats 135 not 147.and youve lost 8ft lbs. of torque over stock.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I want to clearify something . Before I said anything about WAI, several of the members (ThuzNite, Vetec Killer, NissanNunitic ...etc) were saying that the WAI was better. At the time I had the a home made CAI and I said B.S. to their remarks about WAI being better until I tried it out.
To all the nobelievers with homemade CAI, all I can say is to try out WAI. It only takes few minutes to change and find out for yourself.

On a typical 4 or 6 cylinder engine cars, longer tubing of CAI will give better low to midrange power, but with Altima engines, oposite is true. Therefore, shorter tubing on WAI works better on our cars. I believe that it was NissanNunetic who said the same thing

As far as PR CAI goes, I believe that it will perform better than homemade CAI only because of smoother air flow into the T.B.
I am guessing that PR CAI maybe on par with WAI, although with dif. power curve.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Yes, I tried first a used CAI

From PR (thanks Mark, if you ever visit here ever), on my 99 GXE Altima (not the Max), and it sucked. I put the OBX on, and I and my sister both love the power and the sound....
I don't care what people say, I have driven many Altimas with WAI and I insist they feel better with WAI vs the CAI..
IMO

·
coffee black and egg whit
1,918 Posts
alex i will totally agree with u in that a cai may not be as good as a short ram intake on an altima, but for sure its not a fuckin 15 hp difference...that guys dyno is bunk anyway........ gtech + labtop doesnt equal "dyno"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
ok first off, i was mistaken, it was 145. and its not bs cuz i ran it the dyno. and no, there wasnt a fan to try to make the wind tunnel shit. as for the homemade cai, it was ghetto. i admit it. i have done a couple ghetto shit, and for the people that say they dont are bs-ing. besides that, this is the first car i ever tried to hook up by any respect. im learning. but the numbers rnt bs. its all there.
1st dyno-- 2.25 catback, ur pulley, kn filter (wai) 3a muffler

2nd dyno-- 2.25 catback, straight pipe, jun flywheel, homemade cai w/ kn filter, 3a muffler

havent scanned in the 3rd one yet but it went to 139hp 139.6torque

so u tell me where the bs is

·
NISSANCLUB.COM
4,763 Posts
The pics don't work, and also, even before I see the pics, there is NO WAY ON EARTH - an altima is making 145HP to the wheels with your mods, thats 171HP that the engine is produce over 150 stock, no way. I know my altimas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
so u telling me that the freaking huge dyno of a machine is crap. they had a maita w/ a single rotor engine on there doing 350 hp w/ a 20 lbs boost w/ 101 octane fuel. bs??? they had a drag rx7 sitting the machine. both guys were serious w/ there own puter hooked up the their own cars apart from the puter on the dyno. and ur calling it crap. the owner has is own drag and went to cali to run his car. they got 4th doing the 1/4 in 8.35 (i think). but this guy is serious. if it was some other rag tag punk w/ a dyno machine i would agree but its not. if it is lying im sorry but i really dont think the machine is shit.

and y the hell rnt the pics working, what am i doing wrong.

·
Registered
343 Posts
hey you guys need to stop ballen this guy out his car looks hot and he has done some real creative shit to it to make it the way he wants it this is a club to support people and there altimas not smack them down for being creative anyone wanna talk more
email is [email protected]

respectfully
neo
aka
ceo

:p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts