The Nissan Club banner

3rd Gen Engine and Transmission into 4th Gen Engine Bay

734 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Mr5wag
I was wondering what the process may have to involved regarding swapping out a 3rd Gen VQ35DE into a 4th Gen Engine Bay. I am aware of the potential costs involved, as well as the standard requirements such as wiring harness, ecu, tcu, suspension, etc. And yes I'm aware that I could just take it back to the dealership. But with the market the way it is right now (seller's market), and with money theoretically not being an issue, my curiosity has begun to get the better of me so I want to ask, what kind of things in the fitment and mounting department would need to be done within the bay in order to accomodate a 3rd Gen VQ35DE engine and transmission from a 3rd Gen?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
4th gen ('07) engine bay is the Renault smaller one than the FF-L platform used in '06, the box is smaller with a different front suspension. You may run into parts interference. Engine mounts may not work.

The 3rd gen engine if an early one is the one Nissan had many problems with , it wore out due to engine ingesting cat plating to bring thousands of engines to an early death.
4th gen ('07) engine bay is the Renault smaller one than the FF-L platform used in '06, the box is smaller with a different front suspension. You may run into parts interference. Engine mounts may not work.

The 3rd gen engine if an early one is the one Nissan had many problems with , it wore out due to engine ingesting cat plating to bring thousands of engines to an early death.
I didn't know this information. Thank you.

So because of the smaller bay in the 4th gen, there may be issues with mounting and part interference. I'm going to assume that there were no changes with the 4.5 gen face-lift from the 4th gen as well. Also, with regard to earlier 3rd gen engines being troublesome, how early are we talking. I was thinking of using a 2005-2006 engine.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts