The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into swapping a VQ40DE from the new Nissan trucks into a 350z or G35 yet? I wonder if they (VQ35DE and VQ40DE) use the same bellhousing pattern or location of engine mounts. It could be an interesting combination. I know that there is already a 4.3L stroker kit for the VQ35DE, but this new engine could be a more viable alternative, as that kit costs a good bit if I remember correctly. (After a little research, one price was found to be $7800, which should be quite a bit more than a "new" VQ40DE, if one could be found or ordered.) But, back to my question. Has anyone looked into how related these two engines are, or is naming the new truck motors as VQ engines just a marketing ploy?

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
It's likely that the 4.0L motor from the new truck shares a lot with the VQ35, since the 6-speed in the Frontier is probably very similar to the 6-speed from the Z/G35. I doubt that Nissan built a completely different transmission for a new application - one strong enough to handle the power potential of the Z should be able to handle the truck application. Even if they are different, you could always throw the 4.0 transmission in with the motor. But why?

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts