The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded a clip of a fellow member's 4spd auto doing acceleration all the way up to 120 or so...(it was posted before)

1st gear winds out at 40mph/64kph
2nd at about 78mph/125kph
3rd it seem to be above 100mph.. dunno

now he manually shifts

1st gear at about 42mph
2nd right around 80-82mph (like a manual's top 2nd)
3rd was at about 125mph/200kph

NOW... I try it with my tiptronic:
1st gear I am almost certain it was at 72 74kph... so if I dont shift it would be at around 68 70kph/43mph

2nd, I am 100% sure... it maxes [email protected] at 115kph/72mph!!!!
I try to manually do it, 120kph/75mph... it was NO where near what the video did, even IF he didn't manually shift!

3rd, I just left it in drive... it shifts by itself right before 160kph.. 159kph/99mph.....

Now, 5speed auto is suppose to keep you in upper revs and shift quicker..... but also the 4speed auto has LONGER gears, so I might fall back while it's still going... however once the 4speed shifts, it may start at a lower RPM.....

Some of you 5speed autos perhaps should compare with my gear ratios!

I hope my car is not slower than prior models!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the tiptronic seems shady if you shift it manually after redline, OR even if you force it down to redline, and LET it shift itself after, theres a big jerk.....???

it shifts itself at 6500rpm, or you can go up to about 6700 6800rpm manually...

not sure if my Canadian model varies with the States....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that moving the auto shifter into the manul shift gate simply raises the RPM level at which the autobox shifts for you. The effect is similar to the 'sport' button on auto/smg BMW's. There is no way Nissan (or any car manufacturer) could put out a manumatic tranny that could potentially self destruct if the driver failed to shift it up or down when in manual mode. I'm currently working on mastering the 5 spd manumatic and will gladly share my results soon!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
DesiEGO said:
Tiptronic is their way of making you feel good that you can drive a stick but does not make a lot of difference in shifting............
lol :p

but na more than likely your 5-speed is faster. If I ever went back to automatic I would never get a 4spd again, those gears are WAY too long man. Feels sluggish all the time except for a few spots where you are at the top of the gear. Hardly and 2 gear drop downshifts
which means if you are in a 4spd auto and need to GO GO GO and you are at the wrong speed and try to floor it an take off real quick it won't really go anywhere :(

If I had my choice I would have a 6spd manual though :cool:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
dnvrfan said:
I do not understand this comment.
i deciphered it and it means "i'm being a dick" ;)

·
My little champion...
4,966 Posts
altimized02 said:
If I had my choice I would have a 6spd manual though :cool:
I hope you're not referring to the 6spd in the Max--cause its been proven time and time again that its mainly an overdrive gear used to SIP fuel than DRINK it...

If highway gas mileage efficiency is your thing, then the 6spd is for you!!!!

Ain't a damn thing performance about it, except MARKETING...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
if you watch a 350z acceleration video you will see they are in the powerband WAY better than us 5speed guys and I assume its the same for the maxima. yeah its not gonna be a HUGE difference with the 6spd but each gear is shorter which in my book is just awesome. Thats why eventually I'm getting the SE-R 6spd tranny w/limited slip

3,250 Posts
i don't mind just stepping on the gas and not shifting especially in traffic but i do miss having the fun of banging gears and smoking everyone. but it does amaze me when i see the guys face in the mustang that just got smoked by an AUTO family sedan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts