The Nissan Club banner

Rebuild current 5-speed trans or swap in a 6-speed?

• Rebuild 5-speed

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Swap in a 6-speed

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

2002 3.5SE, just started grinding gears in my 5-speed. No idea why, bought car at ~100k and currently at 133k. No idea on how the PO drove it, could be synchros etc.

Should I rebuild the current 5 speed (which sounds like a PITA) or find a 6-speed to drop in?

From the research I did on the forum it looks like a 6 speed from an SE-R or from a 6th gen Maxima will work, plus the 6-spd shifter from an Altima so I have the reverse lockout. No one has mentioned about the trans mount being the same, but I'm assuming they are? And it looks like it uses the same clutch kit as my 5-speed so I can swap that over. Do I need a different flywheel also?

·
Registered
180 Posts
5-speed gearing is better especially for performance. I would rebuild or swap in a used/rebuilt 5-speed.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Option C - install good used 5spd

If you change out the clutch plate it's recommended to replace the flywheel as well.

By grinding, I assume you mean your synchro's are done? Because if your clutch is sticking (ie not fully disengaging), it can cause the same effect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Option C - install good used 5spd

If you change out the clutch plate it's recommended to replace the flywheel as well.

By grinding, I assume you mean your synchro's are done? Because if your clutch is sticking (ie not fully disengaging), it can cause the same effect.
Yes that's an option also, assuming I can find a good used one.

Sometimes it doesn't grind, sometimes it's only 4th gear, sometimes it's all of them except 5th. No problems going into or out of any gears. It grinds after I put it in gear and then accelerate somewhat hard. i.e., I shift from 3rd to 4th, no grinding until I go to accelerate then there's a second or two of grinding between 1800-2500 rpms.

·
6,365 Posts
Doesn't sound like the transmission at all...at least nothing a rebuild will fix. Are you sure you don't just have bearing issues?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Doesn't sound like the transmission at all...at least nothing a rebuild will fix. Are you sure you don't just have bearing issues?
I'll have to see if I can verify where the noise is coming from, I just assumed the trans because it seemed related to shifting gears. When you say bearing do you mean throw out bearing? The clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing are all new from Exedy. They were installed about 3k ago.

I did just get back from a ~1300 miles round trip to South Carolina though, I didn't really notice the grinding noise until I was down there. I'll get it on jack stands and take a look.

Edit: also the fluid is new, I'm running Redline MT-85

·
6,365 Posts
What is bothering me is the 'it doesn't always grind' bit. Coupled with the 'under acceleration' modifier...made me think of front wheel bearings, or the hanger bearing on the passenger side CV shaft. Because those would be more susceptible to load related stresses than anything in side the tranny. About the only way I could see the tranny doing funky things would be if it was out of oil or some other catastrophic event.

The more I think about it...the more I'm leaning towards the hanger bearing on the passenger CV shaft. check that (and the rest of the external drivetrain) first before you go swapping big hunks of metal around.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Unquestionable answer... 6MT swap. /thread

JK - I think the 6MT offers some options for you that a 5MT doesn't. But... that's me. It's quite some work.

·
6,365 Posts
If I was going to go to all the trouble to swap a 5MT for a 6MT...I'd be damn sure there was an LSD in there!! (Think Sentra SpecV tranny)

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
3,668 Posts
Yeah, unless you're specifically going for a 6MT with the LSD, go 5MT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts