The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching the Hydro Assist Fuel Cell and want to know what everyone else thinks.

HAFC

It's a bit pricey but they offer a money back guarantee and that's good enough reason for me to make the investment so I ordered one.

I even decided to become an affiliate and let people know about it because I'm very excited about it. If you notice, that's why my alias is in the URL.

Please check it out.
I'll try to get it installed sometime this week or weekend so I'll let everyone know how it performs soon. I'm going to try and do it myself but if I can't it might take a bit longer while I schedule a shop to do it.

Believe me, if it sucks, I will let everyone know.

Wish me luck.

>Dave

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll soon find out I guess but at least check out the site.

Some of the stuff they talk about seems like it could be crap like the fuel heater. I've never tried a heater but I hear they don't do much. But the main components and concepts of the system seem very interesting.

They have a video about it on the Hydro Assist Fuel Cell linked page.
Let me know what you think.

·
Rippen RJ
883 Posts
Yeah I saw that awhile back, I hope it works out good for you, seems like a really cool product if it works out good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The manual says it should take about 2-3 hours to install. I brought the manual to my mechanic who said that doesn't sound feasible.

I just now looked online through dozens of google search results until I finally found an account of someone who actually installed it. He said his mechanic put it on two different vehicles and each instal took about seven hours.

The guy did rave about how much better mileage they tested both vehicles to then have but, my God, I better be able to figure this thing out myself because I'm NOT paying seven hours labor to have a mechanic install it.

"Easy to install" they say. Whether this is a bs product or not, I'm already pissed and I haven't even gotten the kit yet.

I'll keep you guys posted though... all two of you.

>Dave

·
Rippen RJ
883 Posts
That's crazy, I hope it doesn't take that long. I'm not really sure about the procedures to install it but I do recall them saying easy to install. They had a video too which was pretty interesting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I did a mileage test on my car last night.
Here's what I came up with:

Test conditions and results before HAFC:

Outside Temperature: 51
Conditions: Clear
Heater: off
Defrost: off
Wipers: off
Headlights: low beam
Stereo: "Random Music Folder"
Volume: 20
Riders: Me (174 lbs) Alex (135 lbs)
Interior contents: CD case
Trunk Contents: 1 bottle throttle body cleaner, small air compressor, Autolock, jumper cables
Pump speed setting: slowest notch
Time of departure: 1:02 AM (receipt for first fill up)
Time of return: 2:08 AM (receipt for second fill up)
Distance: 50.50 Miles
Speed: 55 MPH
Gasoline replaced: 1.537 gallons
Mileage calculated: 32.856 miles/gallon

My results actually surprised me but I did add a little acetone, which has given me surprising results before so I'll take it. I have the receipts to prove it too.

So if, for some reason, I drove only highway for 10,000 miles in a year this mileage, if gas prices were to remain constant at $3.15, would have me spend $958.73 on gas.

If the HAFC fulfills its 50% promised increase I would be getting 49.248 miles/gallon. So if that were my mileage for 10,000 highway miles I would spend $639.15 on gas, a savings of $319.58.

Assuming I pay about $500 to have it installed and tuned, and the kit having cost $1000, this would make a total of about $1500. Saving $319.58 per year it would pay for itself in about 4 years and 8 months.

This, of course, is foolishly assuming that gas prices will remain constant for those almost four years, but none of us are stupid enough to believe that. It does mean that as gas prices rise this kit will pay for itself more and more quickly.

So, maybe this won't save or earn me money in the short or even long run, unless my car lasts about another 5 years (I don't see why it wouldn't), but I'm just thoroughly sick of getting poor mileage and paying gas prices almost 3x higher than they were when I was in high school 4 years ago.

I'll keep you posted,
>Dave

·
Rippen RJ
883 Posts
True but if it does work and you ever change your car, to lets say a v8 truck or muscle car, it will pay itself faster.

·
EAT IT
255 Posts
I did add a little acetone, which has given me surprising results before so I'll take it.
you put acetone in your fuel tank? what made you decide to try that out? i thought acetone was like a heavy duty cleaner or something.

·
white on rice
475 Posts
you put acetone in your fuel tank? what made you decide to try that out? i thought acetone was like a heavy duty cleaner or something.
it is a rather harsh chemical, although i dont know about running it through a fuel system. Then again all the stuff they sell that is a fuel injector cleaner is simply paint stripper and kerosene for the most part.

·
Rippen RJ
883 Posts
I remember my bro telling me that, he read that too in the DSM forum but I forgot how much you have to add per 10 gallons of gas, I know it is a small amount though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a different thread altogether but I normally add add about 1.5-2 oz per ever 10 gallons of gas I put in the tank. When you do the math, it's only 0.16% of the tank. It hardly seems like enough to do much damage when the plastic measuring cup I use to pour it in the tank holds 100% pure acetone and is still fine. The cup corroded a bit, sure, but when mixed with the gas, it's such a small ratio I can't imagine it doing any damage. Well, so far so good at least. Plus I did a lot of research on it before deciding to try it. I found research on a website which said "We have dozens of such parts soaking outside for months in various solutions of gasoline with up to 10% acetone which is several hundred times too much. No damage so far."

Anyway, back on topic, I checked the tracking number and my HAFC should be delivered today. I have a five day holiday ahead of me between the weekend and my school's Dr. King day holiday so I will try to get it installed at some point during that time.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I do another orange test on my mileage.

Wish me luck.

>Dave

·
EAT IT
255 Posts
good luck :bigok:

·
///M Time!
1,986 Posts
I would be interested in the comparison between the MPG of a full tank of gas without the product and then with the product. At 55MPH for a gallon or two isn't really conclusive enough for me.

Before you get this installed, take more meticulous notes of your driving habits over a couple tanks of gas and your MPG for each tank of gas. Then when you get the HAFC installed you will have more data to compare it too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
"guaranteed 50% Savings Warrantee allows our valuable customers a full 2 weeks to evaluate the increased fuel economy on their vehicle only after it has been properly tuned by a certified mechanic.
"
That is the warrantee that it comes with. if it was soo great. it would have a 5 year one or greater.
for 99% of all buyers. there is no way someone could test it correctly in 2 weeks. The way it is setup, they would never return your money back to you. If the system was so great, the president would order that all cars in the country had it installed. Well, since I havent' seen that happen. it's fake.

PS!!!! " properly tuned by a certified mechanic" WTH IS THIS! lmfao! so, are they giving a list of mechanics that we can use? or will the mechanics have to goto court to say they did it right?
scam.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before you get this installed, take more meticulous notes of your driving habits over a couple tanks of gas and your MPG for each tank of gas. Then when you get the HAFC installed you will have more data to compare it too.
I calculate my mileage on every tank and with normally about a 60/40 mix of highway/city driving I average around 21-23 MPG, filling up about every two weeks. Even if it's significantly higher than that, I'll be pleased.

Also, to "runcoolisback," you do receive a list of mechanics and tuners with the kit. There have been a few training sessions for any interested certified mechanic to become certified in the installation and/or tuning of this kit at multiple locations around the nation.

And in response to "the president would order that all cars in the country had it installed," if you're that f*cking ignorant to think that our king George Bush would ever do a thing to take money from the big oil companies that fund and support him with billions of dollars every year, I certainly do not envy what it must smell like where your head is surely lodged.

Big oil hates hybrids but they loves them some Bush (who, up until recently, denied gasoline engines' contribution to global warming). You barely have to have our president's meager IQ to deduce some sort of connection.

Let's get something straight: If this kit is BS, I'll be the first to say it, and I'll actually have the experience to make such a claim. But, don't sh*t on me for sticking my neck out and actually trying it.

Thanks for everyone else's support and I'll let you guys know how things are going as they progress.

·
Rippen RJ
883 Posts
Any idea when the kit is expected in kazesay? Make sure you take a picture of it for us!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could do that.
I actually just got it in.
I'll try to take everything out of its box tomorrow probably and snap some pics with my phone. They might look crappy but you'll get the idea.

I'll try to remember to do that.

Goodnight till then...

>Dave

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.