The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
was up
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, a while back, my tranny started leaking oil.

at first, it was leaking from the driver's side transaxle. the seal on the axle was bad and it was replaced. even after being replaced, it leaked. it was replaced about 3 times and still was leakin.

now, i dont think its leakin from the transaxle, but from the speed sensor and its a little worse. why would it be leakin from there? why would it be leakin from the axle?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Neegra said:
well, a while back, my tranny started leaking oil.

at first, it was leaking from the driver's side transaxle. the seal on the axle was bad and it was replaced. even after being replaced, it leaked. it was replaced about 3 times and still was leakin.

now, i dont think its leakin from the transaxle, but from the speed sensor and its a little worse. why would it be leakin from there? why would it be leakin from the axle?
Don't know if this will help you, but a common problem with 95-97 5 speed Maxima's (who's transmission I can only assume is made by the same people) is failed differental carrier bearings. Not cheap and not easy to fix.

Check out the 5-speed rebuild section of www.motorvate.ca

Again, this may be way off base, but this sound a lot like what a lot of Maxima guys are going through.

G

·
You did put a new retainer snap ring on it right? The one that holds the driver side axle into the tranny? If it is not snapped in, the axle will slide out and dump gear oil. My car was like this when I got it. Its a bitch to get it snapped back in there. Required a large hammer and prayers that be didn't **** up the cv joints by pounding on it.

Demmy

·
was up
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dementia said:
You did put a new retainer snap ring on it right? The one that holds the driver side axle into the tranny? If it is not snapped in, the axle will slide out and dump gear oil. My car was like this when I got it. Its a bitch to get it snapped back in there. Required a large hammer and prayers that be didn't **** up the cv joints by pounding on it.

Demmy

well i think that one is fixed now, but for some reason its still leakin and it seems like out around the speed sensor. has yours ever leaked out of there? was it just the o-ring?

G

·
Nope mine doens't leak anymore. But I have torn other nissan tranny's apart (510, truck, 240sx) The pinion gear (which is what the speedometer cable attaches to) is just sealed with an o-ring in the ones I've taken apart.

Demmy

·
Registered
40 Posts
My axle seals were leakin bad replaced both and no more problems from them. the other place it was leakin was what i originally thought was the speed sensor on the bottom left of the case. turns out thats the position sensor its pretty common for that to leak the only way to stop it it to replace the sensor or some black RVT, just a little.

Good Luck

Sink :cool:

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
378 Posts
I just found out that this leak is the reason for my poor shifting. I had the clutch replaced at the dealer, and after the change, noticed a significant transaxle fluid leak, from the driver side axle seal. I'm taking it in to have that seal replaced, hopefully it won't leak from anywhere else.

In case anyone else thinks they may have this problem, my main symptoms were difficulty engaging first gear (even when stopped) and higher shifting force. Of course, the car was like this when I bought it, so I put 100k miles on the tranny with low fluid! I thought it was just the way the tranny was until I had my fluid changed at 100k miles, and noticed excellent shifting for about a day, then the other symptoms returned.

This time, after clutch replacement, I noticed excellent shifting for a day again, and when the difficulty came back, I noticed the leak. The catch is that once the level gets down past the seal that leaks, the leak goes away and you're left with no visible signs of low fluid or a leak.

Once I verify that the leak is gone, I may try the Redline fluid, also.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps someone!

·
was up
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it turns out mine just wasnt the seal. it was the differential. i dont know how in the hell it got screwed up. also, the case needs to be rebuilt and the position sensor was leaking even after it was RVT'd. it would cost more to do all that than to get a new tranny out of a salvage yard. so my car is in the shop gettin a new tranny. this sucks, but at least itll all be better:D

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
378 Posts
Neegra, would you mind updating this thread with how much this ends up costing you and what you have to do? I'm wondering if 100k miles with low fluid might mean I may see the same thing you did.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.