The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a true racing story, but something to watch out for

My buddy with the turbocharged 03 Tiburon that we work on recently got bigger injectors and turned boost up at the same time....his car is running very rich (10s for AF) and is tuned soley by the SAFC...little hairy for my like, but he doesn't have the ECU yet...but we decided to run it to see how it did (mind you at 3.5/4 psi his car was dead even with my stock altima with header/pulley/intkae)

We roll out onto the the interstate at our usual test/tune spot, he has his gf with him watchign his laptop (he's datalogging as well), and I roll out with my buddy in his 02 vr6 GTI

His GTI has an intake, and camshafts that really woke it up...to the point where he hangs dead even with my other friend with a RSX-S with and Intake, header, Hondata, Intake Spacer...and this is at highway speed, where the VTECH in that RSX owns....

Also: The GTI smoked my parents 3.5 auto from a 20-100 roll by at least a car length....no joke!!

Anywho we roll out and do just goof off on the southbound side, mainly to get an idea of an appropriate rolling speed, and to scout for cops....we hit ouri intersection, and Uturn back onto the northbound route....

Rolling between 35/40 we do the 3 beep thing and gun it....and to our surpize in the GTI, the Tibby pulls on us by a carlength until about 60, but we slowly real him in, only pulling on him by about a carlength and a half at 100....we repeated this same run 2 more times with similar results....

All in all it was a great run, especially for andrw in the tib...6 psi with his t25 is great for his car....it's just unfortunate that his gearing isn't good at highway speeds (whereas the altima, and the GTI have long gears, his car's gears are quick...to the point where I can hold 3rd gear out for 2 of his shifts...literally)

Maybe not exciting for you guys, but just kinda happy that his car is legit now...it's just to bad that the vr6 has a turbo kit being fabbed up now too lol!

Drive on kidos....

·
SSi Crew Member
598 Posts
AceAltima said:
Not really a true racing story, but something to watch out for

My buddy with the turbocharged 03 Tiburon that we work on recently got bigger injectors and turned boost up at the same time....his car is running very rich (10s for AF) and is tuned soley by the SAFC...little hairy for my like, but he doesn't have the ECU yet...but we decided to run it to see how it did (mind you at 3.5/4 psi his car was dead even with my stock altima with header/pulley/intkae)

We roll out onto the the interstate at our usual test/tune spot, he has his gf with him watchign his laptop (he's datalogging as well), and I roll out with my buddy in his 02 vr6 GTI

His GTI has an intake, and camshafts that really woke it up...to the point where he hangs dead even with my other friend with a RSX-S with and Intake, header, Hondata, Intake Spacer...and this is at highway speed, where the VTECH in that RSX owns....

Also: The GTI smoked my parents 3.5 auto from a 20-100 roll by at least a car length....no joke!!

Anywho we roll out and do just goof off on the southbound side, mainly to get an idea of an appropriate rolling speed, and to scout for cops....we hit ouri intersection, and Uturn back onto the northbound route....

Rolling between 35/40 we do the 3 beep thing and gun it....and to our surpize in the GTI, the Tibby pulls on us by a carlength until about 60, but we slowly real him in, only pulling on him by about a carlength and a half at 100....we repeated this same run 2 more times with similar results....

All in all it was a great run, especially for andrw in the tib...6 psi with his t25 is great for his car....it's just unfortunate that his gearing isn't good at highway speeds (whereas the altima, and the GTI have long gears, his car's gears are quick...to the point where I can hold 3rd gear out for 2 of his shifts...literally)

Maybe not exciting for you guys, but just kinda happy that his car is legit now...it's just to bad that the vr6 has a turbo kit being fabbed up now too lol!

Drive on kidos....
03 Tib v6 or 4? You want to see some mean numbers on V6 Tib's look at RIPP Mods SDS powered Tib's... 340+ WHP None the less glad it's workin out for him. Those latest gen Tib's aint the worst thing Hyundais eva done thats for sure. Seemingly dependable cars, and aint half bad for performance either.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i4....the v6's are known to be a lil weak past the 350 HP mark, and RIPP modifications knows that...they've had plenty experience with dodge cars and make a quality product (same with the alpine unit for the v6)

He chose to get the i4 simply due to how strong it is....as for handling, just witha full eibach setup it handles great, and the car rides/sits grat as well

Only complaint is the huge blind spot in the rear quarter windows...

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
6 cylinder tibs sound like beasts when modded...my friend has one with an intake and borla exhaust...soon to come headers. It is loud

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had an 04 tib for about 3 months and everything that could go wrong with it...WENT WRONG WITH IT...

I bought it right off the showroom floor...

Things that went wrong:

*I had to change out the sunroof motor 3times

*the throttle body ripped right off.....almost killed me because the car just took off like a bat outta hell sending me through red lights....(scary)

*tranny blew

*Clutch broke

*speakers blew

after all of this i had it with the car....the dealer bought it back under the lemon law....Luckly....

sorry for the tangent...

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!! That's really a shame...

the clutch I can understand, I've herad from numerous places of it wearing after 15,000 miles...and my buddies turbo even at 3 psi cooked it

I don't understand what your saying Freshaltima...stigma with what car???

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
I always thought those VR6s were turboed. anyways, nice run. Im not a fan of the tibis, but to each his own i guess. so i guess you have your turbo alty up and running again

·
('!')
282 Posts
3.Fast said:
I had an 04 tib for about 3 months and everything that could go wrong with it...WENT WRONG WITH IT...

I bought it right off the showroom floor...

Things that went wrong:

*I had to change out the sunroof motor 3times

*the throttle body ripped right off.....almost killed me because the car just took off like a bat outta hell sending me through red lights....(scary)

*tranny blew

*Clutch broke

*speakers blew

after all of this i had it with the car....the dealer bought it back under the lemon law....Luckly....

sorry for the tangent...
You wanna know why? Because most dealerships put demos on the showroom floor. If you don't know what that means it a car that was used by someone high up till around 5000mi or whatever, and trust me, for them its like a rental car. If it wasn't a demo, then i don't know, maybe ur just lucky,lol,jk. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts