The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
max, 350, g35coupe.... all share a 6 speed gear box.... all of them inlcluding the alti share the VQ35 engine... how hard can it be to swap the alti tranny for the maxima to have the 6 speed option? why hasn t nissan done that for us? Is it possible to just buy a max tranny and do it ourselves? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
953 Posts
would be cool

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can't be cheap!!! Even if you found the right tranny @ a junk yard!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I will be soo pissed if they come out with a 6-sp altim cuz i almost payed a few grand more for the 03 maxima b/c it was 6-sp. my friend has one but has beat it up already and it strating to sound like crap......he already went thru a clutch and a shifter....dont ask me how he is a rough driver. anyway, i would have bought an accord 6-sp if they havent mostly sold out so i went with the new alti instead. so if they do they will hear from me lol

·
Registered
953 Posts
rodman,

When you say that you were about to buy a 6-spd accord. Its a four banger huh!? Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ewood420 said:
over rated
Ditto, waaayyy over rated. Personally, I would take a 5 speed over most 6 speeds. They usually gear 6 speeds for autocross, so they have shorter, close ratio gears, meaning you won't have nearly as much off the line umph as with a 5 speed. Not good for tearing away from a stop light.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wylde horses said:
Ditto, waaayyy over rated. Personally, I would take a 5 speed over most 6 speeds. They usually gear 6 speeds for autocross, so they have shorter, close ratio gears, meaning you won't have nearly as much off the line umph as with a 5 speed. Not good for tearing away from a stop light.

OK i get your point.... but if we talk about having the engine relax when u r cruising at high speed wouldn't a 6 speed let the engine breathe a little bit more easy? Wouldn't u save more gas ass well?

by the way maxima's 1/4 mile times are almost the same as our altimas.... so i don t know how a 5 speed might be better than a 6 speed..........

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DesiEGO said:
Good question...............put it to Nissan and see what they say !!!!!!!!!!

How can i reach them???????

please post some websites.... thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
albertz said:
OK i get your point.... but if we talk about having the engine relax when u r cruising at high speed wouldn't a 6 speed let the engine breathe a little bit more easy? Wouldn't u save more gas ass well?
Not necessarily. You should really checkout the gear ratio's for the Maxima and the Altima to see where they differ. Usually, 4th gear will be about 1:1, and a six speed will have 2 overdrive gears to the 5 speeds one. On paper, that looks better, but if fifth on the 5 speed is .67:1, and fifth and sixth on the 6 speed are .80 and .62:1 respectively, in the end, you are not saving a whole lot in terms of lower rpm at higher speeds. Another thing to consider is the extra hp that the transmission will soak up as it has to turn an extra OD gear all the time

by the way maxima's 1/4 mile times are almost the same as our altimas.... so i don t know how a 5 speed might be better than a 6 speed..........
Well, you kinda said it right there. The hp difference isn't that much (even less if you try to factor in how Nissan fudges the numbers :D), but the maximas do have a bit of an edge in that department. If a 5 speed is properly geared so that you're crossing though the traps near the RPM where your peak hp is, and you're able to launch quicker then the 6 speed, then his extra gears won't mean a whole lot. In the end it will be more or less a drivers race. That said, can you get aftermarket final drive gears for these cars? I read in a car mag recently that for the auto they use a 3.71 final gear ratio. Anyone know if this is the case for the manual transmission? Can you replace that gear with, say, a 4.10 or 4.30? :confused:

·
Me-14.61 - Stang-15.02
248 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still following this post or not but I did inquire about doing this exact swap.

crate 6sp tranny - $5000

Tranny will not simply bolt up to an Alty. Adapter plates and fabrication must be done. Dealership told me another $3000 to $4000 labour. Very expensive swap IMO. Not gaining much either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
wouldn't the 6sp Max trans have the LSD too? That would be worthwhile to me. Of course we're talking a few more years before those trannies become available (wrecked Max
s) . Also I can't believe that the those trannies wouldn't bolt up to our engines (VQ 35).

There's no way would vary the castings on the engine blocks for Max's or Altis. Same bellhousing patterns I would be willing to bet.

I drove an '02 Max SE 6spd and the shifting action felt a hell of a lot better than the 5 speed in my Altima.

·
Me-14.61 - Stang-15.02
248 Posts
All I'm saying is what the dealership told me. I agree that doesn't mean it's true. They told me that the housings are different. That adapter plates are needed and custom fabrication is needed. Again that's just what the dealership says and that's by no means the final word.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts