The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 max 6 speed non LSD transmission and a 05 spec v trans. I'm trying to convert the non LSD max to a LSD 6speed trans for my 05 nissan altima. Can and guide me to what needs to be done? As well, are there any gears from the spec v transmission that can benefit the Maxima trans? If anyone can help I'll really appreciate it or lead me to any pages where I can read up and see what is needed to get it done.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
There is a great thread on this very forum...just search for it. Guy was in Montreal if I recall and he put a new LSD unit in his existing transaxle...looked like a lot of work unless you have access to a savvy mechanic. You'd be better off just putting the SpecR tranny right in...as I believe it's the same housing and essentially bolts in.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I have an 04 max 6 speed non LSD transmission and a 05 spec v trans. I'm trying to convert the non LSD max to a LSD 6speed trans for my 05 nissan altima. Can and guide me to what needs to be done? As well, are there any gears from the spec v transmission that can benefit the Maxima trans? If anyone can help I'll really appreciate it or lead me to any pages where I can read up and see what is needed to get it done.
I'm going to be a bit of a jerk for a second and then help you out, so bear with me.

Most of the more seasoned individuals on this forum researched these things on their own, tried different things to see what works and doesn't work, and then posted the findings for the community. The mere fact that you posted a question to ask others to help you find the answer when you could do the research on your own may not be looked too kindly on. /rant

Now I'll provide some insight. I'm looking to do the same when it's time to swap out the clutch. I'll be installing the JWT flywheel/clutch combo and swapping in the HLSD from the Sentra (my trans is the same year, in fact). The differential is a direct swap to the final gear in the max transmission. Some individuals in the community swapped the final gear from the sentra into their max/alti transmission, as the gearing provides for quicker acceleration. That comes at the cost of a lower overall top speed and higher RPM at highway cruising speed. I'm still on the fence for that one. The rest of the gearing is very similar. The Max/Alti transmissions have better syncro's in 1st/2nd/3rd, so I'd only use the ones from the Sentra if yours are shot. You may be better off buying new syncro's specifically for the Max/Altima 6-speed instead, and install those while the housing is open.

And here's the tread for the differential swap. Please do us all a favor and use the search function next time before posting - that way we can all know that you did prior research on your own and have questions on stuff to fill in the gaps. We do know that not all threads are 100% complete with information, so there may be additional questions that come up. It helps to know that you read up on as much of the topic as possible - people will be more likely to assist you that way. :grin

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,035 Posts
Correct. The LSD will bolt right in, so to say.

You cannot just bolt in the spec v transfer. The bellhop sing is indeed different and would need to be swapped.

Problem is the gear stacks are attached to the bellhousing. Best bet is to have an experienced transmission shop do the bellhousing swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts