The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi...
Considering buy a brand new stick shifting Sentra or a Versa.
I notice Sentra is 6-speed nowadays.

So do you find it tiresome to changing that many gears?

I've never driven a 6-speed car. My first car was a 4-speed. My second car was a 5-speed; and the 5th gear was only used on highway.

I've riding motorbikes with 4-speed, 5-speed and 6-speed. And on motorbikes, I found the 6-speeds to be quite tedious; it felt like there was a lot more work for 1 extra gear. I never felt that way with 4 or 5-speed.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It will be close to driving the 4 speed as those are the gears you're most likely to be using.

Most all of my old vintage Mustangs are 5 speeds with one I just traded off a six speed.

Most of my driving through town was using four gears, and the extra two overdrives was on the highway.

Actually the Cobra I traded the Mustang for is a TKO600 5 speed, and I only use the 4 gears on it as well.

Why not just take a test drive at a local dealership, and decide after a test drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There're no stick shift Sentras around here. The dealers only stock automatics. Will have to take a road trip to test drive.

On motorcycles, 6-speed's gearing are tighter...so the top speed is about the same as 5-speed's. And you do more work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 6speed. They are geared pretty close, many times accelerating onto the interstate I skip 5th gear. Easy to go 35mph in 4th as well on city streets.

It's not tedious, but I drive a 10spd manual truck at work everyday. If you do a lot of stop and go it may be.

It will drop your texting while driving to zero, which is not a bad thing anyway. They are fun to drive, much more responsive than the CVTs in my opinion.

The new Chevy Cruze and even Toyota Corollas can be had in a 6spd version. Not too sure what Honda offers anymore, although I've had two 5 speed manual Civic Si models in the past (1991 and 1999).

I love mine. She likes to run smoothly at 80+. :)

roog

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone know, have an experience or comparison between the final drive & top gear (5th gear) ratio of previous sentra's versus this new sixth gear?

Like is the new 6th gear really bigger than the old sentra's 5th gear that you can cruise the freeway at 70 mph on a lower RPM with the same 1.8L engine?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone know, have an experience or comparison between the final drive & top gear (5th gear) ratio of previous sentra's versus this new sixth gear?

Like is the new 6th gear really bigger than the old sentra's 5th gear that you can cruise the freeway at 70 mph on a lower RPM with the same 1.8L engine?
That'd be a good comparison. Didn't the earlier versions (2012-earlier) have a 2.0L engine?

roog

·
Not an unregistered user
2,282 Posts
I have a 6speed. They are geared pretty close, many times accelerating onto the interstate I skip 5th gear. Easy to go 35mph in 4th as well on city streets.
Same here, albeit I don't drive a Sentra (yet?). For the most part, I rarely use 5th.

Manual vs. automatic is all about preference. My current vehicle will likely be my last manual daily driver. It's been fun, but I feel that I've outgrown it. I don't deal with a lot of traffic, either.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Manual vs. automatic is all about preference. My current vehicle will likely be my last manual daily driver. It's been fun, but I feel that I've outgrown it. I don't deal with a lot of traffic, either.
I started out driving manual. And own several manual in the last 30 years. And my manuals all lasted forever (one has 250,000 miles and the current owner is still driving it strong).

I can't say same for automatic...had to pay for serious cash repair. My family and relatives all drive automatic SUV or minivans...and everyone of them have had expensive transmission problems some point.

But I really am not a big fanboy of manual. I rather not have to manually shift. I guess I'm lazy. I still want a manual because ownership cost of manual are much cheaper than automatics after factoring in the high cost of repairing automatics. This might be the last new car I ever buy; so I want it to last til the day I die.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts