The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
reppin DC crew
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i do know about wiring and shit but.... my boy brought my subs down from 8 ohm to 2 ohm. i have a rockford amp that is 2 ohm stable and have 2 audiobahn 12's. havent got to play with it to much because now i have to get a bigger fuse because im blowing a 60 then and 80 now i have to play it low with a 60 in there for now. im going to get a bigger fuse like 130 or 150. i talked to the guy that insalled mine and he said that its goin to be hot(i know that ) and catche fire. that and sumother stuff i didnt under stand. can u guys put some input that i can understand. thanks

·
reppin DC crew
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i know y my fuse keeps blowing and i dont know how they went down to 2 ohms but thats not what i want to know. is it DANGEROUS for it to be the way it is hooked up now? can i blow anything or as they said catch fire?

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
if the fuse keeps blowing it sounds like theres too much current being drawn..............maybe u need some thicker wire too.....what gauge power wire do u have......??

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
look on your amp, how many fuses of how many amps are there?

i need more infomation about your speakers to tell you how they went from 8 to 2 ohms.....

but just from guessing you have a dual 4 ohm speaker

·
Registered
288 Posts
We need to know alot of things. What is the total Amperage of the fuses in your amp, what size power wire are you using, and actually it would be nice to know what model amp you have, the exact model of subs, and how they are hooked to the amp.

One thing is, if your amp is 2 ohm stable but it is a 2-channel amp, and you have it running at 2 ohms bridged...it will draw too much current. RF amps are usually not 2 ohm stable when bridged, only in stereo mode. So that might definitely be your problem. In either case if you get us all the info we asked for we could probably figure out exactly what it is pretty easily.

Also, you were talking about fuses blowing...was that the fuse inline with the battery? or the fuse on the amp? Either way, you are NEVER supposed to just increase fuse size unless you know what is causing them to blow or you are 100% certain it is safe, which neither are true in this case. The fuses are there, and the sizes used are used for a reason...so if it blows, that means something is wrong and needs to be addressed. Just increasing fuse size without fixing a problem is a great way to burn out amps and/or start car fires. I doubt you knew this so hopefully nothing got damaged but in the future you shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
invisible21 said:
One thing is, if your amp is 2 ohm stable but it is a 2-channel amp, and you have it running at 2 ohms bridged...it will draw too much current. RF amps are usually not 2 ohm stable when bridged, only in stereo mode. So that might definitely be your problem.
that was my 1st thought.. good advice so far..

·
reppin DC crew
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok this is what i have
sub: audiobahn 12 high excursion(aw1200Q) link with stats: http://mainstreet-caraudio.com/car/audiobahn/aw1200q.htm
amp for subs:rockford fosgate punch x1000.1 mono amplifier 100amps recommended for fuse.
i have8 gauge wire from battery. the fuse right there is the one blowing. then i have that wire conncect to my cap. cap to both amps.
crunch 300 rms amp for mids and highs.

anything else u guys need to know?

·
Registered
288 Posts
The fuse is definitely blowing because you're drawing much more current than is intended for 8 gauge wire. The max recommended fuse size for 8 gauge is 50 A...you could probably get away with 60 A if you had to.

BUT, if one of your amps has a 100 A fuse...it is definitely drawing more current than 50 A...and therefor causing your fuse to blow. Depending on how much your crunch amp draws (probably not much) you should be able to get away with some 4 gauge and a 125 A fuse. This will solve your problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts