Nissan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've noticed that everytime I go to a gas station I cant get 92 anymore. More and more gas stations only have 91. Has anyone else noticed this, especially in so cal. I wonder why 92 is out.

·
Alcoholic
647 Posts
i know! wassup w/ dat shit.. i was at mobile one time . filling up my tank.. when i put back the nozzle. i was like, da hell?? 91/!!?!?! .. cheap asses. cheaper gas, same price!!!:mad:

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
i heard it's because of some california clean air law that recently went into affect but i'm not sure...

there's always a bottle of octane booster.... heh

·
I OWN XTC,An XTC OWNZ U
1,863 Posts
I don't know, up here in NJ we got 93 and 94 octain, but even then I use octain boast. It good shit I use NOS racing octain boast. I raise your octai 7 points, so i run 100 to 101 octain in my altima:D

·
ProChoice=Bottle or Draft
324 Posts
We have 92 octane in AZ, but I was in CA on Sunday and I noticed the same thing. Fucked up man.

·
Traded in Alti!!!
406 Posts
93 here in Ohio

·
DJ QUIK
1,001 Posts
Shri222 said:
I don't know, up here in NJ we got 93 and 94 octain, but even then I use octain boast. It good shit I use NOS racing octain boast. I raise your octai 7 points, so i run 100 to 101 octain in my altima:D
I think it only raises it the full 7 points if you are using the low grade (87). I could be wrong though

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Its always been 90 or 91 in colorado because the altitude effects the octane rating or some such crap i was told. Ive only found one gas station that sells over 91 octane in colorado, and its a sunco race fuel station also....

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Higher altitudes don't affect octane rating. Refiners make lower octane premiums for the higher altitudes because of the lower air pressures... you're less likely to pre-detonate than at sea level. So lower octane fuel will work fine in high altitudes.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I wish I ran the gas stations you all use. If you knew what an octane rating is, you'd kick yourselves for pissing away your money.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Off topic

Kenshi, where've you been? Haven't seen you posting around for awhile. Or maybe I've been looking in the wrong places :D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Re: Off topic

flarearrow said:
Kenshi, where've you been? Haven't seen you posting around for awhile. Or maybe I've been looking in the wrong places :D
Thanks for asking. I was wondering if anyone noticed I wasn't around. I wasn't going to do a special post about it, but I've had a bad accident with my right eye. I ruptured the eyeball when I was using a budgie cord to tie up a luggage cart. When I pulled one end of the cord, the other end snapped up and the hook slammed into my eye.

Since then I've had two operations, one to try to save the eye (which they did), and the other to try to restore some sight. Right now I'm forced to keep my head down 24/7 while the eye heals for the next two weeks, but I am getting some sight back. They really can't say how much better it will get, but I've got to stay hopeful. At least it's still there.

Some story, huh? Sorry for the off-topic…

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
re: off topic

Holy crap!!! That sux, especially since it's such a freaky accident. :(

How much vision has been restored? And can you drive?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Re: re: off topic

flarearrow said:
Holy crap!!! That sux, especially since it's such a freaky accident. :(

How much vision has been restored? And can you drive?
Just a little vision out of the right eye. Nothing yet that you would call sight. The left eye is fine. Plenty of people drive with one eye, but I haven't tried yet and I can't until the right eye heals from the last operation. We'll see what happens. Just trying to stay cool and get better.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Shri222 said:
Dang - that should come in handy just as soon as you get 12:1 pistons...

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
TL said:
There is NO reason to run any more than 89 in a N/A altima.

If I was turboed AND timing advanced I MIGHT consider running higher.
I have noticed quite a difference! I use to use 87/89 all the time but couldn't figure out why my polished stainless steel exhaust pipes were always black. (I discovered it was covered in soot) Also, some of my friend are always telling me that get a lot of black smoke on start up.

Since then, I've changed to 91/94, whichever I can afford or rather whatever the gas station has. It seems to burn cleaner, leaving almost no soot, and my mileage has gone up! With a 60 Litre tank, I'll get roughly 600 - 650km with city and highway driving. That's about 390 miles. I have gotten almost 700kms (420miles) with 3 people and tons of luggage driving down to Michigan. Performance wise, I see very little, if any, increase.

So. There are two pretty good reasons to use fuel rated higher than 89.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
coach
Nissan Forums
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing