The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's '94 Altima 4 cyl (150K) is making what sounds like timing chain noise. There's a TSB on it but it doesn't make any recommendation. As I see it, chain isn't gonna fail any time soon, and she'd be just as well off to live with the noise rather than spend the $500-600 to replace the chain. Your comments are appreciated!

·
459 Posts
A whole lot more than that to replace the chain...just drive it 'till it goes out. When it does, just get your engine rebuilt.

Shnoogens.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Octane said:
A whole lot more than that to replace the chain...just drive it 'till it goes out. When it does, just get your engine rebuilt.

Shnoogens.
heehee...rebuilt engine is gunna be like 1/2 the cost of the car...might not be such a hot idea to rebuild. but I agree...just run it till it blows up...then get another car.
Jay

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
Of course, it's always cheaper to fix a car than to buy a new one. And it is especially attractive if you really like the car and do most/all the work yourself.

Guy #1 runs his 93 into the ground. No longer running. Sells it for $800. Turns around and buys a clean 93 with 80k miles for $5000. Net outlay, $4200, and he now has a 93 with 80k miles and who knows what problems inherited.

Guy #2 runs HIS 93 into the ground. Motor is shot. Doesn't sell it, but dumps $4100 into a Jasper reman engine and installs it himself. With incidentals he spends the same as guy #1, but now he has a 93 with zero miles and an engine that may actually be better than an original equipment factory motor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could be a timing chain tensioner

My car makes a weird noise too. It sort of sounds like a ball bearing bouncing around in the valve cover. It isn't a valve or the
chain itself but the timing chain tensioner. It is wearing out before the chain is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well maybe this may help. When I first got my car. (95) And I kept hearing this noise. The noise would kind of go along with the engine changing gears. I asked Nissan to check it out. They told me it was the timing chain (belt) whichever that we have. And they told me it this outrageous price like 1400 with labor. Since I was there to get my brakes done. I told them to do the brakes and I would come back for the the other work. One of my cousins who is a mechanic was in town for a holiday. And I asked him to check it out for me. And from just listening to it without even popping the hood. He told me it was a pulley. I looked at some older paperwork from when I got my car serviced at Nissan. And a few months before they told me that I needed an A/C Idler pulley. And my cousin told me that was probably what the problem was. And I took it to back to Nissan and told them to put on an A/C idler pulley. And that was what the problem was. and it only cost me 172.00 buck. So that could be your problem too. Just thought I would offer other suggetions. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Defnitely

JC said:
My friend's '94 Altima 4 cyl (150K) is making what sounds like timing chain noise. There's a TSB on it but it doesn't make any recommendation. As I see it, chain isn't gonna fail any time soon, and she'd be just as well off to live with the noise rather than spend the $500-600 to replace the chain. Your comments are appreciated!
Definitely drive it with the noise - it isn't worth the cost to fix it. I've tried to fix a similar noise in mine - and am now having to do some heave duty related work on it.

·
Pro Driver
167 Posts
IT is just your timing chain guide that makes that noise, your timing chain is fine. And you could probably have someone remove it for very little if it bothers you that much. Its a very common problem with our altys that is just more annoying than anything, and it happens to mostly everybodys ka24de.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it doesn't take serious mechanical skill to get those lame guides off if it really bothers you.... I drove my first motor that way for 3 years, it was so loud people thought I had bad rod knock or soemthin....so then Id smoke em in a race :)

·
Chawk
161 Posts
Good reply's to this one. I have a friend in Roanoke Virginia he is a mechanic apprentice basically and works for a mom pop shop. This lady brings her 94 alty into the place to have a full tune up and have the timing chain replaced for some unk reason. probably thinking it is a belt. They end up doing this not thinking it would be a big deal untill halfway throught the process they realize what work is involved. To make a long story short they ended up f/up the valves or something because the lady brought the veh back and the engine was knocking and the shop ended up eating over 4 grand to fix the lady's engine. By friend told me never have the timing chain replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.