The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
system: radio/tape/cd.

symptoms: poor volume, cuts in & out at times.

unfortunately gf is on a budget. i was hoping to just replace the headunit. but now i read that the rear speakers have their own amps? crutchfield tries to sell a $50 adapter for that.

i want to power the original speakers with a new headunit. i want good balance and sound to be decent. doesn't need to be super, but at least as good as it was OE.
do i need this adapter??

thanks for all the help ahead of time!!! she's going nuts w/o her tunes. ;-)

Brian Dors

·
*Member*
253 Posts
First... check remove the deck and play around with the wires while the stereo is on if you can hear the music better then you have a wires fried somewhere... but sounds like it is going to be that...

Check the wires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
need to replace head unit

I listened to the thing last night. No cutting in and out, just super low volume. LED display dead. Doesn't work the antenna anymore.

So I need to replace the head unit. I need to keep the stock speakers.
Do I need this $50 OEM adapter Crutchfield is selling? What is it for?

I'm in a Contour SVT which had an unpowered head, separate amp setup. I bypassed the factory amp and ran the speakers straight off the new powered head unit and the sound was a great improvement over stock.
Is this the same idea here? Do you all recommend I bypass the Nissan amps?

To recap: 96 GLE w. radio/tape/CD. need to replace the factory headunit with an aftermarket one.

THANKS!!
Brian Dors

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
talked to Crutchfield

he said:
you gotta use the adapter to cut the power off the aftermarket stereo and keep the Nissan amp's, because:
1. the speakers aren't normal ohm range, so bypassing the nissan amps isn't smart, and
2. input side of amps isn't line level, it's some power, just weak power.

Can someone clarify please? I was thinking maybe at the amps, to crimp together the input and output side and drive the speakers directly in that way, but, if the Ohm is wrong, that wouldn't be good.

THANKS

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just get a head unit and invest in some cheapo speakers (they will still be 2x better than stock) and wire the speakers directly to the H/U. 50 bucks is a lot to work with if you are looking at stock replacement speakers + wire.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'll try and bypass the factory amps for the short term by doing a little custom wiring in the trunk.
She can just keep the volume reasonable and the 2 Ohm speakers will be fine.
Then maybe really good speakers down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts