The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Nissan altima that I picked up and it needed some work, but not as much as I am finding out. When purchased it ran great for the amount of miles engine wise, it just needed a full rack and pinion and power steering pressure hose. After I started making it my daily driver I noticed that it had a rough idle which would eventually turn into it dying. I am able to turn the key off and back over, sometimes it's rough on the start up. It will get to the peak of cranking and stumble over itself taking a little bit to start after cycling the key a couple times. I feel like it's fuel related, but everything I have tried has failed.

I started with the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I have also replaced the valve cover gasket. After that I noticed the oil coming from the distributor so I replaced that. After a week or so the same problems were happening. I took it as a fuel issue because I can smell gas when the problems are going on. Since then I've replaced all four injectors and the fuel pressure regulator, EGR valve along with the EGR connector? I don't remember exactly what the part was called.

Please help. The two options I have for it are fuel pump and timing chain...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if you fixed it but if you did please let me know. I have a 2007 Altima also and I am having the same issue. I saw a few things online about MAF sensor issues. I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. I bought it with a new one installed so I assumed it was good and moved on to the next likely cause with no results.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Make sure all your idle air is correct, TB butterfly and bore and PCV valve open and no vacuum leaks. Most of the bad idle causes.

Past that on something that old a compression check, Leaking will never idle correctly and wasting time and $$$$ doing other things trying to fix something engine comes apart for. So many of you now think the engines last forever, you never heard of engine wear. So you buy whopping $$$$$ of parts that do nothing.

Please don't take that personal, it's a public service announcement made over your head, it has to be said ever so often.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts