The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sentra (1.6) will not start. Lots of chain noise before this issue. I want to make sure the chain has not slipped. If I find top dead center and count the links I have been told between marks and between the camshafts the link # would be 13. Between the exhaust cam and the crank mark it would be 34 and between the intake cam and the crank 30. I am hoping that by making sure this is correct that I can not replace the chain, put in a new tensioner and fire it up.
Thoughts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try your plan?
I have not. I was asking about the chain counts to see if they were correct. Thing is, this is an interference engine so I am wondering whether the valve train is all bent up anyway.
I guess I need to check for compression. The timing does not matter.

·
Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
11 Posts
The timing marks are a little complicated on the GA16DE. The simplest way would be to compression check, the valve cover comes off easy and you can try to line up the sprockets and marks. If the tensioner did fail and the chain jumped, the engine will be in need of a rebuild because it is an interference engine as you know. But the compression check will tell you if the engine is shot or not. Doesn't really matter what failed. No compression means bad engine either way, so no need to waste time pulling covers I suppose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The timing marks are a little complicated on the GA16DE. The simplest way would be to compression check, the valve cover comes off easy and you can try to line up the sprockets and marks. If the tensioner did fail and the chain jumped, the engine will be in need of a rebuild because it is an interference engine as you know. But the compression check will tell you if the engine is shot or not. Doesn't really matter what failed. No compression means bad engine either way, so no need to waste time pulling covers I suppose.
Thanks for your interest and information. I hate to say it, but I think this one will have to head for the junkyard. Lots of good parts, but it is just too old to revive. If it was a 280Z I would feel different. I am also getting lazy in my old age. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts