The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My good friend has a 99 Maxima GLE with 250K miles. She loves this car and keeps it running in spite of the repairs costing more than the car is worth. Recently the car refused to start and my best local mechanic says he is 95% sure it is the ignition immobilizer module. He says he spent an hour on the phone with a Nissan expert on Identifix running tests to come to this conclusion. The immobilizer part number is 28591-C9916 and since a new one is over $550 I am looking for a used one. The mechanic says this is a one-year part, although I am not sure of that. Since he is not 100% certain that this is the fix, I'd like to try a used unit and see if it solves the security system problem. Does anyone on here have this part or can someone direct me to a solid source of used Nissan parts that I can contact to try to find it? It would be great if it was in the Houston, TX area, but obviously that isn't a big issue. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was I thinking???????
I saw your comment that the immobilizer and the ECM MUST be matched to each other via my email notification, but don't see it on the forum. The ECM is relatively new to the car and was installed about 6 months ago. At that time it was programmed to the car I am thinking. If a new or used immobilizer is installed, I'm guessing it might have to be program matched to the ECM. Is this not correct, I.E., can a new/used replacement immobilizer be installed with no reprogramming? BTW, I found a "pick a part" junkyard yesterday and pulled 2 of these immobilizers while I was there. I lucky to find a yard with two 1999 Maxima's on the lot since it seems to be a one-year part. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thinking wrong, I was equating the immobilizer with the chip key (mainly the chip), and they are not the same thing at all. Why I wiped it. I of course consider the 'immobilizer' to be the transceiver ring the chip communicates by, I could be wrong in that. The transceiver itself only carries the code, it does not contain the code.

To clarify, the KEY (with chip inside it) has to match the ECM.......................or whatever contains the chip that talks to the ECM, nowadays the remotes themselves carry it.

Yes, the immobilizer itself can be changed, they simply transmit the message and all are the same.

My bad and I apologize there. I was getting tired when I posted but that is no excuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking wrong, I was equating the immobilizer with the chip key (mainly the chip), and they are not the same thing at all. Why I wiped it. I of course consider the 'immobilizer' to be the transceiver ring the chip communicates by, I could be wrong in that. The transceiver itself only carries the code, it does not contain the code.

To clarify, the KEY (with chip inside it) has to match the ECM.......................or whatever contains the chip that talks to the ECM, nowadays the remotes themselves carry it.

Yes, the immobilizer itself can be changed, they simply transmit the message and all are the same.

My bad and I apologize there. I was getting tired when I posted but that is no excuse.
Thanks for the explanation and taking the time to offer help. Sounds like you know your stuff. I pulled 2 from the junk yard so I hope one of them works without needing more "programming".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts