The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have my Alty on pre-order and picking it up in a about a week or so, 3.5SE, white on black charcoal, can't wait!...however I have a couple of newbie questions...

1. I'm hearing that Nissan suggests premium gas over regular; how much difference do u think this makes? is it worth the added cost seeing how expensive gas is nowadays?

2. How soon should I get my first oil change? should I wait for the first 5000k or should I do it sooner?

Thanks folks, I love this site!

·
RacingLine Guy
5,846 Posts
for a 3.5 I'd suggest Premium all the way. it runs higher compression and there for needs it to run properly. regular is ok if neccessary once in a while or in the cold of winter ( the air is denser) But generally I wouldn't do it at all. If fuel price was a concern you should have bought a 4 cyl.

I'd do the first change at about 3000k then every 5000k after that. If you can afford to I'd even go full synthetic after your first oil change.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
actually, you can use either. I know with my new van (3.5 VQ similar to the altima) it recommends premium but regular is totally fine. there is a slight performance loss but that is about it. if you notice the engine pinging then move up to mid grade.

the owner at my dealership has always told my family to just use regular gas. there isn't that much of a performance gain nor will it damage anything if you don't use premium.

If I recall correctly, you should get an oil change at 1600km to remove any debris that might be in the system from the factory. Also give the dealership a chance to check over everything to make sure it's in tip top condition. Then it's every 6000km's or 3 months for Nissan, which ever one is the latter. so it sucks, but proper maintenance would mean to have the oil changed twice in the first 6000km's.

·
Registered
989 Posts
it's a good idea to follow the "break-in" procedure for your engine as well, don't drive it hard, keep it under ~120km/h roughly for the first 1000 km I believe it is (it was atleast 1000 on my Toyota)... as there is little bits of debris in the engine from the newly manufactured parts, revving it higher just means that those little debris can do a little more damage to the engine and result in bad compression or the piston rings leaking a little bit, etc. do what the manual says at first :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks folks, I will take note...how do u guys find the reception on the radio...I've checked out some other forums from people living in the US and I 've heard many concerns about the in-glass antenna providing poor reception for the radio...is this also true in Toronto?

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
don't drive it hard and vary your speed. ie. when highway cruising, drive at 100kph then drop to 95 then up to 105 then up and down. never maintain a constant speed during the break in period.

also you should follow general rule of thumb when breaking in the clutch and the breaks. don't drop the clutch. don't break hard. so many people forget that those parts are brand new also and worry just about the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts