The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so here's the deal. After I sell my 93, along with other money I've budgeted, I'll have $7,000 to spend on a car.

Here are the options I'm looking at:
~77 Datsun 240Z for ~$3k
95-98 240SX for ~$6500
91-96 300Z for ~$7K
Project Altima: 1gen V6 swap. ~$7k

It seems to be pretty hard to find M/T 240SXs and project Altimas in Cali.

I'm definitely not keeping my 93 Auto. I've had it for four years and it's been great but it's time to move on up. I'm going to swap it to rear disc and sell it to my dad. We decided that he will buy it because he really likes it and that we should keep it in our family.

We can discuss going KA-T on another 1gen. I would appreciate it if those who have experience with it would give their thoughts on it, compared to what's listed above.

Also, no need to discuss saving money or investing. I've got other money that I can do that with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
boost the ka... the fabrication for a v6 would be really high and you will probably have more power out of a turbo. the weight of the 6 would make the car drive weird i would think and if it is a daily driver and not just track that would not be the way to go...

but then again I dont know all that much so let the people with more experience voice their opinion now...

if not then I would go with the 300 turbo

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tommymac said:
boost the ka... the fabrication for a v6 would be really high and you will probably have more power out of a turbo. the weight of the 6 would make the car drive weird i would think and if it is a daily driver and not just track that would not be the way to go...

but then again I dont know all that much so let the people with more experience voice their opinion now...

if not then I would go with the 300 turbo
The VQ30DE(Maxima V6) weighs about 100 lbs less than a KA (supposedly). That is the V6 engine and tranny weighs less than a KA engine and tranny.

·
Registered
108 Posts
that sounds about right. 300's keep up thier price very well. My brother bought a 91 300zx a few months back for 6k

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
id go w/the 240sx or the 300zx (those cars r NICE) also jus my 2 cents.... its pretty hard 2 find a M/T nissan anywhere....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went car shopping again today. I looked at a 91 300Z that had a great body but was dead on one cylinder. A 95 240sx that had mismatched tires, quite a few body dings, an off-idle misfire and the CEL was on. A 96 240sx that was the bottom end of the base model (No A/C). A 95 300Z with a repainted front end, loud brake squeal and a badly slipping clutch. After I drove the 300Z I cruised around in Inglewood and saw an R33 Skyline at an Asian dealership. I stopped to check it out along with some 95-97 240s which were all overpriced. The owner of the lot let me start and rev the skyline :D .

I started back home after that and stopped in Valencia for dinner and I saw the most beautiful '71 240Z for sale. It was super clean and it had a hood like the first pic that thesnowman posted. It had a bumper/front aero similar to the one in the second pic, and the whole car was painted blue with white racing stripes from bumper to bumper. It had triple Weber carbs and flared rear fenders with wide tires and the guy was having trouble selling it for $6000. The "$6000" was crossed out on the sign and it said "make offer".

I'm calling him back tomorrow, and if the 240z is M/T I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. If not, I'm probably going to buy a 96 240SX SE auto I found for $4300.:D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here's a pic of the '71 240Z I found. It has a 4-speed manual.

Just as I stopped the car after I test drove it, it developed a problem. Something in the transmission area was making a loud clunk sound whenever the clutch was engaged. So I'm not going to be picking it up, for now at least. The owner said he'd take it to a mechanic and have him look at it.

It's very smooth and it purrs like a lion, but the triple carburetors put alot of spring pressure on the throttle pedal, making it difficult to drive.

I went ahead and decided to get the 240SX. If the guy wants to go low enough, I may get this Z as well.

·
5spding soon...
1,377 Posts
Was that 240sx auto? You should try and get that 240 at a steal if its really got something wrong with it, thats almost identical to my exboss's. I drove that around for like an hour with him, the thing's seriously got some balls, probably one of the coolest/funnest cars I've ever driven hence the suggestion. Good luck with your new car!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 240SX is an SE auto. I'm going to convert it to manual. The guy wanted $5000 for it, I told him I'd give him $4200, he asked for $4300 and I agreed. The interior is leather and it's in good condition. The body is in great shape. It only has a few paint scuffs from a carwash on it. I'm having a nissan dealership inspect it before I pick it up.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at a few 300Zs. They're nice and powerful but I don't like the lack of visability over the left-rear. Also I couldn't find one that didn't have a problem that I didn't want to deal with for the price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts