The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 2002 SE-R Spec V as a daily commuter. After purchasing the vehicle I looked around the web and see that there are a few common issues with this particular engine/car. Those being the catalytic converter and head gasket issues primarily.

Prior to purchasing the car, I ran the VIN by the dealer and was informed that the engine was replaced under warranty at 56k miles (car currently has 102k miles).

The engine runs/ran very poorly with no power. I checked the oil and coolant and did find a good bit of white watery mix in the oil. As well, there was a good bit of blow by from the oil fill when running. I haven't fully inspected the cylinder walls to see if worn rings are a possibility yet.

The engine is all torn down and the cylinder head is with a reputable machine shop which should be done in a few days.

Now, I've read that the major problem was the supplier for the OEM head gaskets. Is this still true? I've used Fel-Pro on numerous other builds with no issues so I would assume for a factory repair (no mods at all) they should be better than the possibly faulty OEM gaskets? How about head bolts? Do you guys always use OEM or has anyone used the Fel-Pro bolts with success?

Thanks!
Matt

·
05 2.3
14 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2002 SE-R Spec V as a daily commuter. After purchasing the vehicle I looked around the web and see that there are a few common issues with this particular engine/car. Those being the catalytic converter and head gasket issues primarily.

Prior to purchasing the car, I ran the VIN by the dealer and was informed that the engine was replaced under warranty at 56k miles (car currently has 102k miles).

The engine runs/ran very poorly with no power. I checked the oil and coolant and did find a good bit of white watery mix in the oil. As well, there was a good bit of blow by from the oil fill when running. I haven't fully inspected the cylinder walls to see if worn rings are a possibility yet.

The engine is all torn down and the cylinder head is with a reputable machine shop which should be done in a few days.

Now, I've read that the major problem was the supplier for the OEM head gaskets. Is this still true? I've used Fel-Pro on numerous other builds with no issues so I would assume for a factory repair (no mods at all) they should be better than the possibly faulty OEM gaskets? How about head bolts? Do you guys always use OEM or has anyone used the Fel-Pro bolts with success?

Thanks!
Matt
Just be sure to have a good tap and die set when replacing head bolts do yourself a favor put new ones and run a tap in the holes and a die over the bolts.your going to stretch em.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts