The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
From D Land of Tendulkar
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yesterday my car did not start. It was towed to the dealer. TOday i was told by the tech that it was flooded and i should read and familarize myself on how to start the car if that happens. He said it starts up fine now. So i was wondering what the true meaning of a engine "flooded" car is.

thanks to all.

·
SHIFT_performance
779 Posts
You can't flood an auto either. Did you let the engine warm-up for at least two minutes before you shut it off the last time? There is a known problem where the engine takes several tries to start if you didn't let it warm-up the last time. I believe this is a deal with the 2.5 and the 3.5.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Quite difficult? How about virtually impossible. I assume you know to start the car, you do not press down on the throttle. With modern cars (the last nearly 20 years) this is not only not necessary, it's not recommended in the owner's manuals.

That's the only way I can think of to flood a modern ECU-controled and injected engine.

·
Make it last...
406 Posts
Last Thanksgiving I drove 6 or 7 hours straight to NY and then turned off the car and let it sit (in the BRRR COLD) for 2.5 days. When I went to start it again, the engine wouldn't turn over. I didn what felt natural and continued to crank on it and pushed the gas. It started.
Once I got home, I obviously talked to the techs at my dealership and they told me some interesting things. One, my engine or fuel line probably had condensation in it, preventing the combustion of the fuel. Additionally, the engine probably got flooded from the lack of combustion due to condensation. Here's where it gets interesting.... They said the Altima is drive by wire, and the gas pedel connects to a computer (common knowledge I know) and the computer knows what I was trying to do by pumping the gas pedal, and that how the engine got cleared. It made sense to me at the time, does anyone know if it's true or BS?

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
you probably turned it on and drove 2 feet and turned it off. all you have to do is crank it until it starts. i just did this to my mother-in-laws van (Auto). she backed up about 10 feet in the cold and turned it off. just turn the key and in about 15 seconds it started right up

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
If you leave your car in the "ON" position while the motor is not running this could cause your problem. Since when in the ON position your fuel pump is pressuring fuel trying to force it into the engine. Your distributor is also running.

I am not sure if that is old cars, but could go for an Altima as well.

·
From D Land of Tendulkar
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that could be a possibility as i leave the car in the on position and listen to my cd while i wait in teh car between classes.I go to cal state northridge and parking is a bitch so u have to be there an hour early.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
"i leave the car in the on position and listen to my cd while i wait in teh car between classes."

Are the idiot lights on or just the radio? If the idiot lights are on then you are on the "on" position, otherwise you're in the "acc" position, which is where you should be...this does not run the fuel pump.

""ON" position while the motor is not running this could cause your problem. Since when in the ON position your fuel pump is pressuring fuel trying to force it into the engine. Your distributor is also running."

It only runs the pump for a few seconds to pressurize the lines, the injectors don't (or shouldn't) run for more than a squirt or two and the Altimas don't have distributors...they have a separate coil for each cylinder. Unless the engine is being cranked or the motor is actually running the coils won't spark the plugs, though they will energize.

"Quite difficult? How about virtually impossible. I assume you know to start the car, you do not press down on the throttle. With modern cars (the last nearly 20 years) this is not only not necessary, it's not recommended in the owner's manuals."

Check the Altima manual...it pretty specifically states that you should apply full throttle when starting under certain conditions...as seen in the excerpt from the 02 manual.

"3. Crank the engine with your foot off the
accelerator pedal by turning the ignition
key to START. Release the key when the
engine starts. If the engine starts, but
fails to run, repeat the above procedure.
— If the engine is very hard to start in
extremely cold or hot weather, depress
and hold the accelerator pedal
to help start the engine.
— In the summer, when restarting the
engine within 30 minutes after it has
been stopped, keep the accelerator
pedal fully depressed while starting."

Clearly this is kind of weird in today's world of easy to start cars, but its not difficult either. If the crank for a few seconds fails to start the car twice in a row, floor the gas pedal and try it again. Since the G3 Altimas are throttle by wire this makes sense since everything is controlled by the computer and not mechanical relays...likely a wot combined with running the starter triggers the computer to shut off the injectors for a moment in an effort to purge the cylinders of unburnt fuel...when it fires and the engine revs come up the computer then goes back to normal throttle control and likely if you kept your foot in it the engine would race to redline pretty quickly.

·
Make it last...
406 Posts
TDoyle.... Nice work. It's great when we get someone with experience and knowledge. Thanks for the explaination and help!

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Clearly this is kind of weird in today's world of easy to start cars, but its not difficult either. If the crank for a few seconds fails to start the car twice in a row, floor the gas pedal and try it again. Since the G3 Altimas are throttle by wire this makes sense since everything is controlled by the computer and not mechanical relays...likely a wot combined with running the starter triggers the computer to shut off the injectors for a moment in an effort to purge the cylinders of unburnt fuel...when it fires and the engine revs come up the computer then goes back to normal throttle control and likely if you kept your foot in it the engine would race to redline pretty quickly.
This is dead on. My wife moved my car about 5 feet this winter when it was about -10 out and shut it off. I could not get the car to start for the life of me. Sure enough, I mashed the pedal turned it over it fired something nasty out the pipes and ran like shit for 5 minutes. Once it warmed up it was fine never had problem again.

·
Registered
833 Posts
JBL85 said:
If you leave your car in the "ON" position while the motor is not running this could cause your problem. Since when in the ON position your fuel pump is pressuring fuel trying to force it into the engine. Your distributor is also running.

I am not sure if that is old cars, but could go for an Altima as well.
Wrong Century!

Won't happen.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Altimaxnh said:
This is dead on. My wife moved my car about 5 feet this winter when it was about -10 out and shut it off. I could not get the car to start for the life of me. Sure enough, I mashed the pedal turned it over it fired something nasty out the pipes and ran like shit for 5 minutes. Once it warmed up it was fine never had problem again.
When it is cold, the gas will sit on all of the cold parts as it dumps the gas into the engine. If you shut it off after it runs for a few seconds this gas stays there and is ready for you when you start it the next time.

The engine does run very rich when it is cold and I have learned to run the engine for a few minutes even if I am just moving it into the garage so that it does not stumble when I start it.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
I never start my car and let it run less the 5 minutes. The wife on the other hand......well she's not very mechanically inclined to put it nicely!!

The alti runs a very rich mixture on start. For that matter the maxima does too. Try having someone start your car when it's cold and take a whiff of you're exhaust, enough to knock you out or at least gag you!!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
timrace02 said:
Once I got home, I obviously talked to the techs at my dealership and they told me some interesting things. One, my engine or fuel line probably had condensation in it, preventing the combustion of the fuel. Additionally, the engine probably got flooded from the lack of combustion due to condensation. Here's where it gets interesting.... They said the Altima is drive by wire, and the gas pedel connects to a computer (common knowledge I know) and the computer knows what I was trying to do by pumping the gas pedal, and that how the engine got cleared. It made sense to me at the time, does anyone know if it's true or BS?
Yes. flooded engine can also happen if the crank is too short where fuel is already injuected but wasn't ignited yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I moved my 2015 Altima a few feet so I could chop wood & then turned it off. Half an hour later I moved it back a few feet & turned it off. We had a recent temperature drop, to just around freezing for that last few days. But it was a dramatic drop. It went from 70-80 degrees to 32 over night. The next day the battery was dead. After taking it to be checked, buying a new one & replacing it I went to start the car & it would not start. I tried reconnecting the battery thinking a censor might be the problem & that it might reset.I tried pumping the gas pedal. I tried to start it over & over without pressing the gas. I let it sit a few minutes thinking it was flooded & then tried it. It just would start. I could smell the exhaust as I kept trying to start it. It was extremely strong & smelled worse than usual. I finally found this post & saw that I should hold the pedal to the floor as I started it. It took hitting the start button twice with the gas pedal to the floor & it started right up. It spit & sputtered a bit & huge clouds of strong smelling exhaust came out for about 30 seconds. Its settled down after that & is running fine. I know now to never start it & turn it off without letting it run a few minutes. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last Thanksgiving I drove 6 or 7 hours straight to NY and then turned off the car and let it sit (in the BRRR COLD) for 2.5 days. When I went to start it again, the engine wouldn't turn over. I didn what felt natural and continued to crank on it and pushed the gas. It started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the last couple of months. Every now and then, my 2015 nissan altima just cranks and wont start unless I push the pedal to the floor while cranking. It spits and sputters for a few seconds and then runs almost like new. I changed the spark plugs as there was black smoke puffing out of the tail pipes. Don't work. Still does it. It did it again tonight. I was thinking crank shaft sensor. But there are no codes showing. What do you think.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,163 Posts
Leaking injector...too much raw fuel in cylinder(s). Mashing pedal to floor will cut off fuel supply temporarily, perhaps enough to dry out the cylinder so it can fire. Will run rough until all excess fuel is burnt off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts