The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm copying my post from the 'Tires' forum because I have a feeling no one is going to read, much less respond to, it there.

The P.O.S. Continentals that came with it are just about worn out (80,000 mile tires my ass). I don't have the cash to shell out to get some better wheels (I have the OEM alloy 16 inchers), so I was wondering if switching to a wider section width tire would be of any use. The original tire size is 215/6016 and I was thinking about moving to a 225 or 235. Do any of you recommend doing so or not? Would I need to lower the aspect ratio (say to 55 or 50) with these wider tires? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Anti-Elitist
4,829 Posts
The conti's do suck bawls. So did the turanzas, but they were better than the continentals. I will say that both lasted pretty well for me, with the exception of the vibrations.

Tire size calculator <- Will need java.

Use that to determine proper sizing if you go wider, etc. However, changing the width will have very little change in performance. The tire was the problem, not really the sizing. The only advantage of changing sizes is gaining more choices. The stock size is pretty unique and you don't get much to choose from. I suggest going for the most affordable tire that will provide what you need. The 2.5 doesn't need any more traction, so going wider *could* actually slightly decrease performance (by increasing rolling weight and resistance).

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm not sure that you can use 225 on the 16's because i am running 225's on my 18's
That doesn't really make alot of sense. The critical factor is the width of the wheel, not the diameter. 225's should fit fine on the bead of a 16" OEM wheel, he just needs to get the closest aspect ratio to minimize speedo isaccuracies.

IIRC the only issue you'll need to worry about besides your speedo is if you go too wide you run the risk of rubbing the inside shoulder of the tire on the inside of the wheel well. I think alot of guys have gone 225 and many have gone 235 without issues. FWIW I wouldn't go above 225...you get a nicer look without a major compromise in the efficiency of your car or speedo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts