The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Saga Continues......
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to wire the stock foglights to the parking lights. As of right now, I have the fogs wired to a switch. I was wondering if i just spliced the wires from one of my corner lenses and connected it to the wires from the fog lights, will it cause a short circut in my electrical system? The fogs have a fuse on them right now so i'm thinkin it will be ok. If anyone has any info on a better way to do this, let me know. Thanx.

·
Kawasaki Ownz
151 Posts
buy a relay and hook that up to ur parking lights. that what i did. works great and does not put a strain on ur electrical system.

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
stillen23, did your fogs opriginally came with the car, and you did a complete rewire to a seprate switch???

I have a 2001 SE with the factory fogs. I was sick and tired only being allowed to have the fogs on when it's in low beam. But I did a rewiring and now I can have my fogs on or off with the driving, low, or high beams. It was a one wire add on job.

Basically, all you need to do is tap into the POS wire of the corner light and hook that into the existing relay for the fog. You have to cut the blue wire thats going into the relay, then connect the new wire thats coming from the corner light into the relay.

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
I'm getting ready to do this on my Maxima too, but on there they still won't work with the high-beams on (separate relay in the steering column).

·
10,373 Posts
If you splice the fogs straight into the driving wires, you run to risk of shorting out the wiring. It probably won't happen, but the risk is there. If you want to go the safe route, buy a relay and wire the fogs to the driving lights with that.

·
RS-R = Authentic JDM
219 Posts
wh ywould you want to connect them to the parking lights any way? Just do like evryone else and get a relay, a switch, and turn them on and off when ever you want.;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
ALTIMADAN said:
wh ywould you want to connect them to the parking lights any way? Just do like evryone else and get a relay, a switch, and turn them on and off when ever you want.;)
cuz then you can't be lazy...everytime u turn on your headlights, u gotta remember to flick the fogs. Wire them to the parking lights and everytime u hit the low beams, the fogs come on automatically.
Jay

·
The Saga Continues......
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya see. Thurznite knows what i'm talkin bout. So do i really need this relay? Come on now folks. U can be honest. If so, can i get one at pep boys or somethin. let me know fellaz. much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Here's how you do it: http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/foglites.htm
On the relay, there's a tab #85. In the diagram, it's wired up to a switch that you mount on your dash somewhere. instead of hooking up a switch, run #85 to the positive of your corner lamp. #85 is the trigger, so when it sense energy going through, it will complete the circuit and turn on your fogs.
I bought my relay @ RadioShack for a few bucks (less than $8). I couldn't find it at Kragen or other auto stores...dunno why. You just need a regular 30amp relay.
Jay

·
10,373 Posts
Stillen23 said:
Ya see. Thurznite knows what i'm talkin bout. So do i really need this relay? Come on now folks. U can be honest. If so, can i get one at pep boys or somethin. let me know fellaz. much appreciated.
Like i said, if you want to go the safe route, go with the $5 relay and little extra wiring. But technically, no, you don't need to use a relay. You can wire them up directly to the driving lights. But again, you run the risk of burning out your wiring with time. How much time, i have no idea.

·
Proud owner of an 06 SE-R
399 Posts
Ive had mine spliced into my parking lights for about 4 months now... no problems at all..... but true a relay is better... i was just lazy and cheap.

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
ThurzNite said:

cuz then you can't be lazy...everytime u turn on your headlights, u gotta remember to flick the fogs. Wire them to the parking lights and everytime u hit the low beams, the fogs come on automatically.
Jay
NO. That's not true.

If you have a relay hooked up to the driving lights, when you flick a driving lights ON, the fogs will come on.

·
10,373 Posts
flarearrow said:

NO. That's not true.

If you have a relay hooked up to the driving lights, when you flick a driving lights ON, the fogs will come on.
I think he was talking about using a switch instead of a relay.

·
Bruised Soup
9,479 Posts
ahhhh, a topic i KNOW about....LIGHTING....

ok, go to www.maxima.org and check out the FAQ, i believe they have detailed instructions on what to do, as the altima is set up the same way, or try www.se-r.net or b15.net...

here is what you need to do.....there are 4 wires running from the STOCK relay, remember, there IS ALREADY a relay in there for the stock FOGLAMPS, under the hood, on teh right side, atleast that is where it was for my 95 240SX SE...
ok, one wire goes to the switch, one goes to the lights, on is for ground and the other is for the power, which is spliced into the LOWBEAM positive.....what you need to do is splice that wire that goes into the low beams into the parklights or whatnot!! shouldnt take more than 30 minutes....any questions, let me know!!

HBOC

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I was gonna follow those directions until I couldn't find the fog harness for the driver side...osama says it's behind the battery somewhere. Anybody know where for sure? 2nd issue is I think you need to go under your dash and wire the stalk harness pos to neg so this mod will work.
Jay

·
The Saga Continues......
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont think my car will have the stock relay harness because its a gxe. i bought the fogs as an "aftermarket" upgrade. I dont think nissan would be kind enough to give me a relay for the fogs just in case i decided to purchase them in the future. I dont know. I think i'll just get a relay and splice them into my corner lights.

·
Bruised Soup
9,479 Posts
most of the relays in the altima are the same, you can go to a junk yard and get them for like $3-5 each, they are light blue in color, atleast in teh first generation, and i dont see them having a reason to changethem for 98-01.....i can write you instructions to wire them up correctly!!! let m eknow..it is fairly simple and doesnt take long to wire up!!!

HBOC

·
The Saga Continues......
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey HBOC. I'm gonna go to pepboys and get a relay. Can u write down the directions on how to connect the fogs to the parking lights for me? Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts