The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Altima S. After about 2 months of driving it, at one point I braked on some uneven pavement, and the ABS light came on. Went to a dealer, they spend 3 hours working on it, and said that they have contact Nissan in Japan to ask some questions. In the meantime I can drive as is w/o the ABS and it's safe. OK, I drove non-ABS cars before, no biggie.
Second appointment, after 2 hours wait - the same kind of story. Need to order the part from Japan. Next appointment - the part arrived, they did something and turned the ABS light off.
Nevertheless, I don't see any difference. No buz on a pedal and the tires are still locking up. Brought the car back for the 3rd time. They checked and said that they can't find anything wrong. The mechanic told me to check again in the wet weather if the tires will lock.
Sure enough they did in wet and dry. I didn't have time visiting the dealers so often, and was driving as is until almost hit a car in front. The tires locked up on wet road (even though I wasn't that fast) and I had to release the brakes and rapidly change lanes to avoid hitting the car in front. Luckily no one was in the next lane.
I sent my wife to the dealer again, for the 4th time. They said that they checked again but can't see anything wrong. All sensors are fine and the computer does not issue any signs of problems.
So the next day on sunday I took the car especially to test it out. I opened the window and leaned over to watch if the tire is really locking up. Started on a dirt road - applied braking: front and rear tires skid without being released.
Moved over to the pavement. 30 - 40mph, panic braking - tires don't rotate and skid with a whistling sound. Even with a pull to the left in some case. No ABS buz on the pedal either.

Now, does it seem normal to you? Not to me.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Post 2009 ABS was standard on all Altimas. Yours is clearly exhibiting a complete lack of ABS--find a better dealer and/or file lemon law papers.

·
somekidbrandon
3 Posts
I am having the same issue right now. My wheels locked up while driving and I almost rear ended someone. The roads were dry and I am not sure what happened. My ABS light has been coming on and turning itself off every so often, but after I almost slid into the person in front of me, the ABS and traction control light both went on and have stayed on. I need to make an appointment with a dealer to have it looked at ...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Record the problem or take a tech for a ride yourself.

As long as you keep sending your wife to the dealer they'll keep saying they couldn't find anything.

If after you show them the problem, they refuse to fix it, lemon time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
On a rainy day go test drive another and see if that's just how lousy it is. Also 1080p dashcams are $40 at Walmart, so you could have your wife follow nearby and you can get a recording of the failure. Then post it to youtube and share it with the dealer. If the dealer ignores you go to the manufacturer. If they ignore you then you post it all over Facebook and such until they are embarrassed. I don't really like doing thing this way but it's the world we live in. Some companies only respond to angry mobs. So hopefully it doesn't go that far.

Reactions: Newalt08

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Took the car in this morning. Explained the problem again. The manager took it for a drive. Came back and asked another mechanic to ride along.
Came back and he acknowledged the problem. He said that they replaced the ABS control unit in the 2nd service. I said that although the light turned off, nothing had changed in terms of braking.
Anyway, they kept the car for their expert to come in and take a look. Gave me a loner car in the meantime.

I think this is a problem for many newer model Altimas, (I read somewhere about a recall on 2014 models), but people don't know about it until they get into the situation where they encountering. Check you brakes before the winter's weather.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got call from the dealer saying that the ABS actuator was replaced. I'll check it out again when will get the car back.
But even on the loaner car (same car but only 3 month old), the anti-lock brake is not that great. Unlike my car, I do feel it kicks in, but still not as good as the other cars I owned. In the snow it can be an issue, I wouldn't rely on it.`Guess it's the way they were build. Could be another future recall? Who knows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Here is what dealer wrote in the work report - Performed ABS actuators and sensor test and all tested fine. Called Nissan tech support and they advised to replace the ABS control unit. Replaced the ABS control unit, performed system bleeding. Tested ok.

So today it was a rainy day and I took the car for a test. Well, nothing changed after the "repairs"'. I think that rear tire's ABS does work, however it does not activates in the front as it was always the case.

Here is a video of my test: https://vimeo.com/149917795

Merry Christmas to all.

·
6,365 Posts
Ok, that's bad, wrong, nasty and probably not safe either.

Do you feel pulsating in the pedal during lockup...ie is the actuator actually modulating the rears?

I still stand by my comments in post #2 ...file lemon law or get another dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called up the lemon law lawyer and they said that most likely I'll have a case here.

Frankly I'm not too sure about the ABS working in the rear, or the pads just don't byte hard enough to lock up... No feedback from the paddle whatsoever. dono.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Just saw the video...Pretty scary stuff. Not safe at all.

Hope you win.

Reactions: Newalt08

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last update.
They finally fixed it after 6 attempts from the first try back in April. It started from when the ABS light came on.
In summary:
1st appointment - No part, need to order. come again.
2nd appointment - Replaced ABS control unit
3rd appointment - ABS is not engaging - after inspection nothing is found
4th appointment - ABS is not engaging - after inspection nothing is found
5th appointment - Video of fealty ABS sent to Nissan. Actuator and ABS control unit replaced. System flashed and brake fluid replaced
6th appointment - ABS still not engaging. ABS lines were switched right to left.

Problem is now seems to be fixed. Although I must say that in general Altima's anti-lock system is not perfect on any car. I tried on other loaner Altimas, but response is not as I used to know on other cars I had (like BMW) and the pedal don''t give the noticeable feedback. Would like to test it out on snow, although I hope not to see the snow this year :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I haven't had the problems described here with mine.

From my experiences, I've hit the brakes so quickly that they did lock (tires squealed) for about a second. Then the ABS kicked in and the squealing immediately stopped.

·
6,365 Posts
Last update.
They finally fixed it after 6 attempts from the first try back in April. It started from when the ABS light came on.
In summary:
1st appointment - No part, need to order. come again.
2nd appointment - Replaced ABS control unit
3rd appointment - ABS is not engaging - after inspection nothing is found
4th appointment - ABS is not engaging - after inspection nothing is found
5th appointment - Video of fealty ABS sent to Nissan. Actuator and ABS control unit replaced. System flashed and brake fluid replaced
6th appointment - ABS still not engaging. ABS lines were switched right to left.

Problem is now seems to be fixed. Although I must say that in general Altima's anti-lock system is not perfect on any car. I tried on other loaner Altimas, but response is not as I used to know on other cars I had (like BMW) and the pedal don''t give the noticeable feedback. Would like to test it out on snow, although I hope not to see the snow this year :)
They switched the fluid lines or sensor wires?? That fixed the problem? BTW kudos on the video...pretty hard to ignore that evidence!

The Nissan ABS system doesn't give you the pedal sensation/feedback you get with other makes, you will hear it though :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts